1980 Fork seal replacement

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

1980 Fork seal replacement

Post by ajs350 »

I'm replacing my fork seals on my 80 and have removed the lower fork legs. It would seem though that I have to remove the stantions from the tree's in order to remove the seals and dust covers. If this is so how do I push in the new seal without the special tool that goes over the stantion?
Thanks
Ross

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1980 Fork seal replacement

Post by NobleHops »

ajs350 wrote:I'm replacing my fork seals on my 80 and have removed the lower fork legs. It would seem though that I have to remove the stantions from the tree's in order to remove the seals and dust covers. If this is so how do I push in the new seal without the special tool that goes over the stantion?
Thanks
Ross
If you Google <pvc pipe fork seal driver> and then click 'images' to the left you will find a million McGivered solutions for DIY bearing drivers, but one good one is to make a bearing driver out of a piece of PVC pipe with slits cut near the driving end, and then use zip ties to compress them to the right fit around the tube and on the top of the seal.

This might be a great item for loaning to folks, a set of those trick Motion Pro two-piece drivers.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ajs350
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by ajs350 »

How cool is that! Off to home depot I go. Thanks Nils.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Nils, that tip is a beauty. Thanks.

scoutcbx
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by scoutcbx »

I just replaced my fork seals on my 82 and used a three foot long length of aluminum pipe sized to fit over the fork tube to drive the seal. I put the old oil ring and the metal plate which goes under the snap ring over the new oil seal to protect it when driving the seal. I also carefully filed the edges of the aluminum pipe to make sure that it was smooth inside and out. The aluminum was softer than the steel fork tube so theoretically should not hurt it. Good luck.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”