80 swingarm replacement bearings

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 80 swingarm replacement bearings

Post by sixofsix »

Thanks for the swift reply. Yes, I went down to local machine shop to have another one whittled up. Without dismantling this precious commodity, would more grease work in there somehow? I see there is a necked down portion on the swingarm pivot (shaft) that would normally hold grease if there was a grease nipple. Like the 79 CBX. I look at this set up and I see problems. The distance collar #11 acts like a seal carrier in that the seal rub on it, so it seals out water and dirt, however the water or dirt can get in via the clearance between the collars #11 and the shaft (aka pivot rod). See water ingress can occur along the shaft under the collars. That is why grease nipple would be perfect as grease lubes and acts as a barrier to ingress of water and dirt. Keep greasing it and grease oozes out just like in any pillow block for the mechanics out there. Presently this is the 80 CBX's darkest hour but I think it will pull through for Morro Bay rally. Either that or I will ride my 82 Ruff bike or my 79 workhorse...Ha!

David Silver and CBX Performance and Dennis Kirk are smiling from my parts orders though. I woulda bought off TIMS but the clock is ticking and TIMS does not have online ordering. But hey I have bought lots off them too. Louis has not been needed so far for used parts. Although I have not tackled the forks yet and I do have a set of tubes from him I just might need, if so he knows the deal.

Anyways short story long, another CBX rises from the ashes and the CBX parts world gets grea$ed, so we all win. No one restores bikes no incentive to sell parts.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Dave, do you think there was a German doing that swingarm pivot for Honda? Just wondering!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I reserve comment until we hear from others.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

The bearings on my 80 swing arm are toast. It looks as if they were never greased. The ball bearings were rusted solid.

The hunt is on for replacements that won't cost a large sum of cash.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Snag a used Pro-Link swingarm for little money and carefully remove those bearings to use.

Dave

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I may have a couple of suppliers.
One has the 16x40x12 which he can precision grind to 38mm. The other is looking into getting the bearings.

If they don't cost an arm and a leg I'll get some to try out.

If they work I let you all know.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

CopperCollar wrote:I may have a couple of suppliers.
One has the 16x40x12 which he can precision grind to 38mm.
Mike
Controlling the heat during the grinding process is tricky. May affect the hardness of the races and balls. :think:

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

True. He may be rethinking this as I haven't heard back from him.

Another supplier thought he could help but as said before...The bearings are proprietary property.

He couldn't help any further.

Mike

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I am learning a think or two about bearings.
Our 80-82 CBX'S use an angular contact bearing. They can take higher thrust loads.

They are pretty loose when held in the hand but will tighten up when preloaded.

Nearest angular contact bearing stock sizes are 15.87mm id x 39.69 od x 11.1mm wide .

I can get the angular contact bearings but the id and od will have to be precision ground and a .8mm spacer machined.

That's about $60 per bearing so roughly $120 plus shipping.

Now one thought bugs me....why can't a deep groove ball bearing work?

Mike

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You want Larry Zimmer to answer that, but as you say, the issue is the side loading that Honda accounted for with this design. Larry's explanation finally turned on the lights for me, and revealed the elegance of the design. Pick up the gems on page three of this thread.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

I have put the bearing search on the back burner for now. One day I'll need a set and the 81-82 swing arms will have been bought up or breakers will realize the bearings are unobtainium and jack the prices up then it will necessitate the search for a bearing maker to replicate the bearings.

In the meantime I bought this little tool for just under $8.00 from Mother Honda. Makes quick work of removing the bearing retainer without damage.

Mike

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks, Mike , for the tool info. A 'bargain'. Simple tool; BUT, tough job without it.

Regarding the bearings: I expect that Honda did their design as it is to have the needle roller bearing to handle the chain load into the swingarm. It takes impact loading better than the balls. What I don't understand is why they did non-standard size bearings on the right side. That type of bearing arrangement is quite common. It's a good application for its purpose, here. If I remember the measurements correctly, the particular issue is the OD. Honda, certainly, could have packaged a standard size commodity bearing. Would have been less expensive for them; and, certainly!!, better in the service market. Including their own. But, then, that's Honda.

Another example, why did they persist so long using ball bearings in steering stems for almost everything? Including the Gold Wing. If ball bearings in the steering stem get the least bit loose -- the least bit!! -- They will brinell the races and leave you with notchy steering and looseness. (And, re-adjusting them does no good.) All for a couple $ on a $20k+ bike! (Somehow saw the light for the prolinks.)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Good stuff Larry! Minor correction - I think you inferred that the early model CBXs had ball bearing steering head, they didn't. All CBXs came with tapered rollers. But they wear out as well. 20,000 miles is the best they'll do.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome solution to the bearing retainers there Mike. Nice to see that Honda still sells the tool.

I did a post on the topic of the bearing retainers during my 400F project, thought I had posted it here but didn't see it, so here it is again:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9216

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

[quote="Larry Zimmer"] . If I remember the measurements correctly, the particular issue is the OD. ! ( quote]

Here are the dimensions again from the earlier thread, taken from my last NOS set. If the OD is the issue, would it be possible to machine the swingarm, to accept a standard bearing?

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”