80 swingarm replacement bearings

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 80 swingarm replacement bearings

Post by EMS »

Samelak wrote:My bearings apear to be in good shape, but I am worried they may break when I press them out to powder coat the swing arm. I guess I could just remove the seals and grease while leaving the bearings in place for the powde rcoat. 400 degrees isn't too hot to damage the bearings if they are left in place. I'll just need to regrease it before installing the swing arm back onto the bike.
If you press them out the right way, i.e.: on the outer race, they should not break.

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I'll give it a shot, but I'm just worried about destroying them. At least the rubber shock bushings are available. Mine are rusted in place and will need to be cut out.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Samelak wrote:I'll give it a shot, but I'm just worried about destroying them. At least the rubber shock bushings are available. Mine are rusted in place and will need to be cut out.
The dust seals at the end?
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The lower shock bushings in the swingarm will drive right out if you choose a socket that just catches the outer metal lip. Driving on the rubber won't work.

Dave

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

NobleHops wrote:Lee,

Let me save you a bunch of time and aggravation and tell you to give up trying to source a generic replacement. They don't exist outside of Honda NOS, and if you find them, (Remotion in Japan), they will be stupid-expensive. I spent hours searching online and made trips to bearing houses, and Jim-Jim did too. I have all those measurements, you can have them, they will do you no good.

You have three choices WRT refurbing those ball bearings:

Pay stupid money to Remotion or maybe Louis, (although I doubt he has them) for NOS. The needle bearing on the other side CAN be found, last I looked.

Take them apart, and replace the balls within. Regrease and reinstall. That's what I did. You can measure those balls and they can be replaced.

Buy a used Prolink swingarm with less miles on it than yours, and extract those bearings, reinstall them in yours.

I would be delighted if you came up with another better alternative, but I doubt you will.

N.
Would the dimensions be:

Outside: 33mm
Inside: 25mm
Length: 30mm

If that's the case, I found a company that has them for 11 pounds each.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Samelak wrote:
NobleHops wrote:Lee,

Let me save you a bunch of time and aggravation and tell you to give up trying to source a generic replacement. They don't exist outside of Honda NOS, and if you find them, (Remotion in Japan), they will be stupid-expensive. I spent hours searching online and made trips to bearing houses, and Jim-Jim did too. I have all those measurements, you can have them, they will do you no good.

You have three choices WRT refurbing those ball bearings:

Pay stupid money to Remotion or maybe Louis, (although I doubt he has them) for NOS. The needle bearing on the other side CAN be found, last I looked.

Take them apart, and replace the balls within. Regrease and reinstall. That's what I did. You can measure those balls and they can be replaced.

Buy a used Prolink swingarm with less miles on it than yours, and extract those bearings, reinstall them in yours.

I would be delighted if you came up with another better alternative, but I doubt you will.

N.
Would the dimensions be:

Outside: 33mm
Inside: 25mm
Length: 30mm

If that's the case, I found a company that has them for 11 pounds each.

OK, now I am confused. The ball bearings (2 of them, back to back) are on the right side, and a needle bearing is on the left. I thought all along we were talking about the two ball bearings. What are we talking about?

These are the measurements of the two ball bearings that nobody has been able to source:

http://noblehops.smugmug.com/Motorcycle ... TXWMq-A-LB

N.
Nils Menten

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I was talking about the caged needle bearing. I am guessing the ball bearing is on the other side of the swing arm behind the screwed in retainer. I have not been able to remove it yet because I do not have the removal tool. If the ball bearing is the unobtainable bearing, please let me know the measurements anyway.

Thanks, Lee

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

There is another thread here, in which I posted pictures and dimensions of a set of NOS bearings.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7188

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Samelak wrote:I was talking about the caged needle bearing. I am guessing the ball bearing is on the other side of the swing arm behind the screwed in retainer. I have not been able to remove it yet because I do not have the removal tool. If the ball bearing is the unobtainable bearing, please let me know the measurements anyway.

Thanks, Lee
Crap, sorry for generating confusion. That bearing you seek is available, it's the pair of ball bearings on the opposite side that aren't. Pay attention to their orientation by the way when you remove those.

You can click that link in the prior post and see what I saw when I mic'ed mine, (use the arrow key to scroll through the photos) or just follow Mike's link (har har).

Carry on!

N.
Nils Menten

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Lee, if you do remove the ball bearings, heed Nils' comment to note the orientation. It is important that those two bearings be oriented as they are. Otherwise, THEY DON'T WORK! Also, if you remove the needle bearing, replace it -- don't reuse it. Chances are that the one end of the outer shell will be deformed slightly when you remove it. (Or, greatly deformed!)

When you install a new one, be certain to press/apply force to the end with the numbers on it. That end is hardened. It will take the pressing or mallet 'taps'. The other end is not hardened; and, will deform if you press or hammer(tap) on it. Good luck and fun with the project.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Samelak
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Samelak »

I got everything out. The two identical bearings simply pressed out, but the needle bearing came out kick and screaming in pieces. I already have a new needle bearing on hand and will clean/grease the others. I took note of how the two bearing are installed. The faces (identification number-side) were installed face-to-face. I don't know why it would make a differene, but I will be sure to put them back in the same way.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Lee, see my sketches on page 3. Notice that the races of the ballbearings are not symmetrical. They must be orieted as shown to react side loads on the swingarm. Those two bearings acting together are the only thing resisting swingarm side loads.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by sixofsix »

OK, I just purchased a 80 CBX. Now your sketch shows only one distance piece on the left side. The parts book lists a qty of 2 each. I only have one with my "some assembly required" 80 CBX. Do I need 2 distance pieces #11 (52102-469-000)? Or is your sketch wrong? I was just about to get another distance piece machined up to match the one I got.

Please advise as I am prepping this bike for Morro Bay in a couple weeks and I am going to get the piece machined up tomorrow if needed as I need a rear wheel on this thing so I can replace the fork seals.

The shop manual 80 addendum page 22-26 shows two of these collars ( or distance pieces).

Help!

Tony

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Tony, specifically, my sketch was reference to the '81/'82 pro-link. However, I believe he '80 is very similar with the parts, perhaps, having slightly different dimensions from the prolink. In the prolink, there are 3 different pieces called 'collars' in the parts book. Only one of each. I'm thinking the '80 is similar in that respect. Hopefully, Dave or Nils will, also, see your post and respond. Both have considerable specific experience with the '80.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Tony:

If you're talking about part #11 on the parts fiche, then yes, you need 2 of them. If you are talking about #15, collar B that the needle bearing pivots on, then there's only one. The other side has the double roller bearings that pivot directly on the swingarm bolt. All swingarm pivot parts except the center collar are identical on the '80 and Pro-Link. This set-up has to be the most complicated swingarm pivot ever devised. And to top it all off, most of the parts are NLA.

Dave

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”