80 swingarm replacement bearings

johnm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

80 swingarm replacement bearings

Post by johnm »

Can anyone tell me where I could find the three 80 swingarm bearings. that are NOT AVAILABLE from Honda.
2 of: 91018-469-003
1 of: 91017-469-003

or what are my options for rebuilding my swingarm
80 CBX Super Sport - Black
81 Yamaha XS1100 Special - Black

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: 80 swingarm replacement bearings

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

John, I don't see them on his website but give Bob a call at CBXPerformance, he is one of the best CBX vendors out there and a really great fellow to deal with.

http://www.cbxperformance.com/oscommerce/

If he can't get them the site has a vendor listing in the forum index.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:John, I don't see them on his website but give Bob a call at CBXPerformance, he is one of the best CBX vendors out there and a really great fellow to deal with.

http://www.cbxperformance.com/oscommerce/

If he can't get them the site has a vendor listing in the forum index.

John, the news there is NOT good. Not saying I turned over every possible rock in my particular search, but a lot of them, including a lot of the parts vendors, and a very good local bearing house where we attempted to cross reference them with no success. We did noodle about a stack of two narrower bearings with a washer, but I got squicked out about that and did not pursue it.

HOWEVER...

If you extract them carefully, and the races are not bad, you can actually carefully press apart the two halves, then measure, locate and replace the balls within the races, and grease them up. That's what I did and it felt great when I was finished. I reinstalled it and would never have given it another thought...

UNTIL...

Somebody suggested to me that I ought to consider swapping the stock pressed and welded unit for a much stouter unit from a 1983 CB1100F, including it's better bearings. So I did. Many here have done it, and our man Dave (Technical Director) is expert in the finer points of it. I'll warn you it does require a longer chain, and your stock chain case (guard) won't bolt up, but I was able to get a NOS chrome unit from Honda that I frankly like better then the stock black plastic one anyway. It also has nicer chain adjusters. It will lengthen your wheelbase roughly an inch. I had to bob my fender as a result, but for some reason I am the only person that has run into that that I know of.

You need the entire setup though, including rear axle and nut, pivot bolt and nuts, chain adjusters, chain case, and your stock left side spacer needs to get shortened (by 6mm, from memory). I had mine powdercoated black to look like the stocker, then blew that with the chrome chain case.

I'll see if I can find you some links to my posts and there are several others too.

IF YOU DO find a source for those bearings, or a combination that replicates them, you would be doing us all a service to detail and document it here, please.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Okay found them, don't say I never did anything for you, hope you can read Japanese.

They are selling Ian's CBX book too.

http://www.remotion.jp/parts/cbx/

johnm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnm »

Great feed back, read Japanese???? I will have to it seems to get them.
Great find Jeff, thanks that looks like the complete kit. Now I have to find out how much the kit would cost to my door.

My next question would I be better off going with a 1100F set up ??? Any pros or cons with this swap??

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

johnm wrote: My next question would I be better off going with a 1100F set up ??? Any pros or cons with this swap??
Everything I have ever read about this swap is a plus for the CBX . . . . . Nils has done it to his bike as others
have too.

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Quick google translation and currency converter: 19,800 yen = $245.00. Shipping not included. Ouch.

Steve
82 CBX, 82 CB900F Project, 81 CB900(985)F, 79 CB750(810)F, 06 Wee-Strom

johnm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnm »

Changing the swingarm sounds like the best way to go here

If any one has a Swingarm and swingarm bolt from a 1983 CB1100F or know where I can buy them please get back to me.
Thanks
John

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

John:
The other option for stock bearings is to buy a Pro-Link swingarm for cheap (can hardly give them away) and scavenge the bearings (they are the same). You'd have a lot less than the replacement kit from Japan. If you want to go the 1100F route, it will require a bit of fiddling at the pivot on the frame, but is pretty straightforward. You can pick one up pretty reasonably over on the 'F' site, or watch eBay. You use your CBX pivot bolt, but will need all the 1100F chain adjusting hardware, rear axle, brake arm and chainguard. Kind of looks like this when you're done: The first pic is of a '79, but you get the idea. Can't really see the swingarm on the complete '80 shot, but that's how it turned out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

johnm wrote:Changing the swingarm sounds like the best way to go here

If any one has a Swingarm and swingarm bolt from a 1983 CB1100F or know where I can buy them please get back to me.
Thanks
John
John, the 1100F guys are found here:

http://www.cb1100f.net

That's where I found my swingarm setup, and pretty quickly. One last thing - There is a 'slider' a fibrous black plastic part that wraps around the pivot end of the swingarm and prevents the chain striking the swingarm. They are NLA from Honda so be certain that you get one with your swingarm.

N.
Nils Menten

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

BTW here are some more photos of the 1100F stuff:

Pre-install

Mounted

Detail

Installed, with chrome chain case. Note at this point I have a too-long chain installed and note the position of the axle in the adjustment slot, as well as relationship of the rear tire to the fender. Tire contacted the fender and rubbed a hole in it, necessitating I bob it, when I shortened the chain two links.

Installed, with exhaust on

Done and done, chain shortened, bobbed fender:

N.
Nils Menten

johnm
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by johnm »

Ya, that looks really good, very nice work Nils.
I did manage to buy some 1100F parts: rear brake setup, chain adjusters and a chain guard but no swingarm yet. I did put a want ad in www.cb1100f.net for a swingarm so hopefully someone will be able to supply me with what I need.
My rear swingarm seams to be seizing up, stays compressed after riding and will after some time sitting on the stand move back to a normal height. That sucks, our riding season seems so short up there in Canada and not being able to ride it is a big let down. I will pull the swingarm out this weekend and see what is what. I will keep you all informed what I find.
I just want to thank you Nils, Dave and Jeff for all your help and input towards helping me get my CBX back on the road again.

John

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

You're most welcome John, feel free to continue to ask for anything. I think everyone here really enjoys helping folks get another bike back on the road and in good working order.

For sure though, it sounds like something is binding up something fierce on your bike if that's the case. Have you taken the old one off yet, or can you verify play or roughness? This would be quick to do by simply putting the bike on the centerstand and unbolting the shocks, to feel it's action. I'm just wondering if you could preserve the riding season with a clean and grease and careful re-torque while you gather your parts.

Replacing those bearing balls is faster and easier than I probably made it sound. I think you could do it on one purposeful Saturday afternoon with the parts in hand. Just a thought.

Best,

N.
Nils Menten

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

NilsMenten wrote:BTW here are some more photos of the 1100F stuff:

Pre-install

N.
Doesn' the CB1100F swingarm has (a) needle bearing(s) also? I don't see it :?

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

OK, in my search for prolink swingarm replacement bearings a link to this thread came up... Anything new on bearing availability, or is it time for me too to convert to a 1100f swingarm?

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”