Steering bearing torque

joeduc996
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Steering bearing torque

Post by joeduc996 »

I just finished the steering head bearing replacement with All Balls kit. The Honda manual says 8-9 lb-ft torque, All Balls says 24 lb-ft. Quite a disparity.

Is there a consensus on the torque, or what has worked for you?

(stock '82)

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: Steering bearing torque

Post by alimey4u2 »

joeduc996 wrote:I just finished the steering head bearing replacement with All Balls kit. The Honda manual says 8-9 lb-ft torque, All Balls says 24 lb-ft. Quite a disparity.

Is there a consensus on the torque, or what has worked for you?

(stock '82)
Interesting one this. Me ? I would definitely contact the supplier with the question posted. If you didn't like their answer or no answer given, I would torque to their requirements to seat in & then re-torque to Mr Honda's.... Too much or too little & it will feel like you had a flat tire.. :wink:

OH! A fellow in the UK makes the castle sockets for the job by the way...Quite cheap & lovely pieces of work...
ICOA # 656

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

In the first place, torque them to about 80 ft/lbs. Then rotate lock to lock 20 or so times. This will square the bearings and races. Loosen, retorque to 80 and repeat. Then loosen and torque to 12-14 ft/lbs and you'll be about perfect. Any more torque than that and the bike will weave all over the place going at slow speed.

Dave

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”