Steering bearing torque

Steering bearing torque

Postby joeduc996 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:12 pm

I just finished the steering head bearing replacement with All Balls kit. The Honda manual says 8-9 lb-ft torque, All Balls says 24 lb-ft. Quite a disparity.

Is there a consensus on the torque, or what has worked for you?

(stock '82)
joeduc996
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Steering bearing torque

Postby alimey4u2 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 am

joeduc996 wrote:I just finished the steering head bearing replacement with All Balls kit. The Honda manual says 8-9 lb-ft torque, All Balls says 24 lb-ft. Quite a disparity.

Is there a consensus on the torque, or what has worked for you?

(stock '82)

Interesting one this. Me ? I would definitely contact the supplier with the question posted. If you didn't like their answer or no answer given, I would torque to their requirements to seat in & then re-torque to Mr Honda's.... Too much or too little & it will feel like you had a flat tire.. :wink:

OH! A fellow in the UK makes the castle sockets for the job by the way...Quite cheap & lovely pieces of work...
ICOA # 656
alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Postby daves79x » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 am

In the first place, torque them to about 80 ft/lbs. Then rotate lock to lock 20 or so times. This will square the bearings and races. Loosen, retorque to 80 and repeat. Then loosen and torque to 12-14 ft/lbs and you'll be about perfect. Any more torque than that and the bike will weave all over the place going at slow speed.

Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Return to HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more