Rechroming fork legs on a '79

RE5Guy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Rechroming fork legs on a '79

Post by RE5Guy »

Hi all,

rechroming fork legs is something I have done successfully on several bikes with 100% success. I have just stripped down the forks on my '79 US model and have 2 questions.

Inside both legs there is a inner tube that is attached to a ring at the bottom end and I can't get either out. They aren't on my parts listing either. What are they for, how do you get them out, and if I can't do they cause any issues for rechroming the legs by leaving them in there?

Are there any other issues I need to aware of when rechroming these legs? I'm wondering in particular abouth the two grooves at the top of them and the breather hole at the bottom.

cheers

Tony

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

They are a functional part of the hydraulic damping mechanism. I can go & check mine later in the day to advise further, unless anyone else responds ...Family have me tied up for the day I'm afraid... :?
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Sadly I only have examples of 80 & Prolink tubes to examine. I stand with my previous statement that they are part of the hydraulic damping mechanism.... Not an expert on chroming but I would "think" it difficult on a assembly of joined parts...
ICOA # 656

RE5Guy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by RE5Guy »

Thanks for the replys.

As purely an observation, and not pointed at this list at all, but there is always something with all the bikes I have that stumps people despite the great wealth of knowledge and experience available on line.

I agree that I can't really see it being a problem, so I will try the chromers and see what they say.

cheers

Tony

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”