Lowering

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Lowering

Post by Spoke »

Hi Guys, is it possible to lower the rear end of a Pro-link?
My 'conversion' is coming on well now but I'm looking for the easiest way to drop the seat height, obviously the seat will be cut down but still I need more drop.

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

OK I'll take that as a 'no' then. :(

If there is anyone knowledgeable about the air-shock & it's mountings I really would appreciate any info on the shortening/moving/replacing of them to lower the rear end.....

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

CBXtacy should chime in as he's used 2-3 different rear shocks on his Prolink. Mine has a ProSus shock and its actually higher than stock so that's no help.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

The last Progressive Suspension and Works Performance shock I've had on my prolinks were both shorter (but not by much) then the stock. Quality control. Run a stock shock, low air (I wouldn't go below 10psi), and an Avon AM41 130/70HB18. Then you could drop the forks down in the clamps a bit. It'll handle like CRAP but it'll be low. The tire is bias, not radial, fat and not real tall. It's a front tire meant for a Goldwing I believe but with the limited ground clearance your dealing with, it won't matter. It will wear fast because front tires generally don't have the same tread depth as rear. You could easily get it low enough to where the side stand is unusable and you get a hernia using the center stand.
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/images/av ... ENOM-X.jpg
that was an AM41 front. Maybe not the same size though.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help :D
A reduction on air pressure in the rear shock is what I had in mind, I was just a bit concerned about doing that, but if it's safe right down to 10psi that's great, I'll try running it at 15 at first.

Thanks cbxtacy :wink:

~Cant drop the front, It's now raked 6 degrees with Harley 6 inch over USD forks & Harley wheels - will be quite a monster.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

sounds different, how about pic's? And I thought you were trying to lower a fairly stock prolink. If you know a good welder and you're not afraid to strip the bike down to the frame, You can raise the top shock mount a bit. BUT you have to be careful, a little at the shock is a lot at the rear wheel.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Spoke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spoke »

cbxtacy wrote:sounds different, how about pic's? And I thought you were trying to lower a fairly stock prolink. If you know a good welder and you're not afraid to strip the bike down to the frame, You can raise the top shock mount a bit. BUT you have to be careful, a little at the shock is a lot at the rear wheel.

I should have some pics in a couple of weeks as it's near completion :)

Do you happen to know of anyone in the South UK that could take on such an operation (raising the top shock). I'm in Bournemouth

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Spoke, I'll PM you the details of a gentleman who may be able to help you with welding...

Looking forward to the pics... 8)
ICOA # 656

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”