Lower Handle Bars

DevonCbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Lower Handle Bars

Post by DevonCbx »

I have a set of Euro lower handle bars to put on my CBX. Is there any major concern when changing them over. I understand the throttle cable tubes may hit the tank. I am wondering if I can just change over all the exsisting controls and cables etc. :?: If not, what parts and procedures should I take :?:\\Thanks

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

The 'Sport Kit' bars used different (shorter) throttle, choke and clutch cables - At a minimum, you'll need to get those. It also used different left and right switches, with shorter wiring. You could always shorten the wiring yourself . . . . or try to stuff the excess into the headlight case

Don

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Sports kit bars, the throttle cables come out of the "top" of the throttle drum...I'll post a pic soon.
ICOA # 656

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Duane, an absolute must is the throttle conrol switch like Larry has shown in the pic. You can use the stock throttle cables with this switch. It does not look as nice and you will have to do a bit of creative cable routing but it does work.
Same thing for the left control.The stock control, choke and clutch cables can be used but creative re-routing to prevent binding may take a cople of attempts.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The metal 90-degree bent ends on the stock throttle cables will present a real challenge when trying to combine them with the sport kit switch housing. I would take my time and find a set of sport kit cables. As you are in Canada, you may find parts from CB750/900/1100F bikes that fit. Some of these bikes in Canada had the same set-up as in Europe.
The other problem may be the clutch cable. It is a hard to "stuff" the long cable anywhere. Here again, a F part may help you out.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Handle bars

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

DevonCbx wrote:I have a set of Euro lower handle bars to put on my CBX. Is there any major concern when changing them over. I understand the throttle cable tubes may hit the tank. I am wondering if I can just change over all the exsisting controls and cables etc. :?: If not, what parts and procedures should I take :?:\\Thanks
In my view you are forgetting the most important part of the CBX sport kit .....the lower part that moves the pegs back about 3/4" of an inch

Again ....in my opinion.... the stock CBX sport kit clips are far too narrow for such a large and heavy bike and the angle is odd....in saying this ....I am not sure what "Euro lower handle bars" are or how they compare to the early model USA sport kit.....but if they are wider and have a better angle you are all set on top....but not installing the bottom footpeg part of the sport kit setting the pegs back 3/4" or so could yield an awkward riding position...which has been the case for each of the CBXs I have ridden over the years equipped with just the lower clip ons and not the footpeg part of the kit.

Honda did incorporate the footpeg part of the sport kit for a reason...again ...in my view.

Mike
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I forgot about that part of the kit Mike, it's been so long since I installed it. Raask make rearsets also but the quality is a little dubious to say the least. When I went with the Prolink forks I had to find bars that would fit & ended up with Honda Bol d'Or bars that fit perfectly & complimented the riding position (for me.)
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I know these bars are different than yours Duane, but you get the idea. There are a couple other pics in CBX photos.
album_pic.php?pic_id=3296

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The Honda CBX was originally set up with handlebars and footpeg locations as in the European version. Some big-shot guy with Honda of America who thought he knew better, convinced Honda they should give the U.S.version a more upright seating position. That's why the U.S. got higher handlebars and the footpeg plates with the slightly forward peg mounting. Another smart marketing guy at American Honda then thought they could make money by selling parts to re-fit the "rest-of-the-world" setup to U.S. customers by calling it a "Sport Kit" and they did so starting in 1980. A "Sport Kit" was available for 1979 and 1980 models, the only difference being the swingarm axle hole of 14mm for 79 vs 16mm for 80 models. For the Prolink bikes there never was a Sport Kit, but the European models still had lower bars than the U.S. models and the footpeg plates were carry-over from the 80 model, thus having rear-mounted pegs. The stock U.S. Prolink bars are a compromise for 79/80 bikes when sleeved to 35mm as they represent a slightly lower position than stock 79/80 while not as low as "Sport Kit" set-ups.
I have 39mm to 35mm sleeve sets in case anybody wants them. They are solid brass and $25.-/set.

Here is a comparison of all CBX handlebars. From highest to lowest:

1979/80 U.S. stock bars 35mm
1981/1982 U.S. Stock bars 39mm
1979/80 Rest-of-the-world and Sport Kit bars 35mm
1981/82 Rest-of-the-world bars 39mm
Euro CBX750 bars 39mm

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Finallllly...........the first definitive CBX clipon pictorial.

Great job and thank you so much. :thumupp:

My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

..and this thread needs to be moved into the correct section :!: We have one for "Handling etc...including "Clip Ons" :wink:

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

I need to once and for all find exactly which Honda my handlebars came from - They're 39mm clip-ons, so the fit an early model converted to run ProLink forks . . . . or they would fit a ProLink equally well

They're kinda midway between the stock bars and the Sport Kit bars - Much more comfortable riding position than either, assuming you have the Sport Kit rearsets to go with them

Dave got them from you Mike . . . . but you forgot where you got them ;)

I think they came from a VFR 750?????

Anyone recognize them?

The Sport Kit throttle cables were a tiny bit too short for them - Solved by drilling another hole for the pin with the throttle assembly rotated a bit forward

I had a Sport Kit on my last bike and these bars beat the heck out of the Sport Kit setup - I liked the Sport Kit and once up to speed where the wind lifts your weight off your wrists, they were great, but a full day riding a Sport Kit was about all my wrists could manage . . . . you didn't really want to get back on the next day. These bars are much more comfortable . . . . I can comfortably ride a few hundred miles each day for several days in a row . . . . and still come bck for more :D

Don
Last edited by Don #6141 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

In re: " These bars are much more comfortable . . . . I can comfortably ride a few hundred miles each day for several days in a row . . . . and still come bck for more"

So Don, where are you planning on going this summer for "several days in a row" :?: :)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

Well . . . . I rode at Marlinton last year 4 days in a row - And then at Luray I put on right at 800 miles over 5 days

I expect to do that many or more again in June :D

Don

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”