DIY Wheel Alignment Tool

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

If the rear tire is out 1/8th, you'll sure have a different bike in left handers than you do when turning right . . . . I can't even imagine trying to ride a bike that's out by 1/4 inch - Unless it was a Harley or a chopper which doesn't turn right or left worth a darn

If you like good performance in the twisties, I'd say Larry's alignment is critical and getting it 'right' is pretty darned important

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

There are two different "alignments". One is the rear wheel being square in the frame, i.e.: the axle not "cocked". This can be achieved by checking the chain adjusters. The other one is this one here, which is front and rear wheel are running exactly parallel. Both alignments, if off, will contribute to erratic handling (steering and pulling to one side) and tire wear.
Front and rear wheels can be running offset on some bikes ( the tire centers are not running on the same line) from the factory. I think the V-Max is a bike like that and some shaft driven motorcycles have an offset.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

EMS wrote:There are two different "alignments". One is the rear wheel being square in the frame, i.e.: the axle not "cocked". This can be achieved by checking the chain adjusters. The other one is this one here, which is front and rear wheel are running exactly parallel. Both alignments, if off, will contribute to erratic handling (steering and pulling to one side) and tire wear.
Front and rear wheels can be running offset on some bikes ( the tire centers are not running on the same line) from the factory. I think the V-Max is a bike like that and some shaft driven motorcycles have an offset.
Mike (or anyone else) do you know how much offset a V MAX has or any other notable bike ..1/8"... 1/4", dare I say more ??
ICOA # 656

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Ahh-ha. But if the alignment and all else is perfect, then all my excuses for being the slowest guy in the group fly out the window. :lol:
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Rick Pope wrote:Ahh-ha. But if the alignment and all else is perfect, then all my excuses for being the slowest guy in the group fly out the window. :lol:
Damn, why didn't I think of that..... :lol:
ICOA # 656

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

alimey4u2 wrote:
Rick Pope wrote:Ahh-ha. But if the alignment and all else is perfect, then all my excuses for being the slowest guy in the group fly out the window. :lol:
Damn, why didn't I think of that..... :lol:
Just tell everyone you're trying to keep up with that you've measured it . . . . and your alignment is off by 1/4 inch ;)

Don

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

but on modern sport bikes the rear tire is so much wider then the front using the "offset wheel" excuse is only good in a straight line. When the rear tire is 2 1/2" to 3" wider does it make that much of a difference? Especially when you're using tires that don't have a directional tread pattern? By directional I mean a rib type tread pattern. It's a big difference from when a 2.5" rim was a wide rim.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I love George, ( in a manly kind of way... :wink: ) he may act the fool but don't be misled, his wisdom & experience shines though.... 8)
ICOA # 656

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

are you sure that's not the lack of hair shining through? If I had a full head of hair, I wouldn't have to put a 6 into 6 exhaust on my wire wheeled bike (with offset wheels) to attract chicks.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

There seems to be quite a few CBXers who are folically impaired. I think I can stand tall among them........
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I did a photoshop of George once with a hairpiece riding an MB5. Surprised it didn't make the front cover of GQ magazine... :lol:
ICOA # 656

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”