Progressive Shock - - Nitrogen pressure

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Progressive Shock - - Nitrogen pressure

Post by bobber »

Put the sleds away for summer so now at the '82, getting it prepped for summer or storage... depending on if I get the FJR1300 I've been eye-balling.
I put a Stage 1 Dyno-Jet kit into it last year, with the 102 main's. Go figure machine ran rich at our elevation(800') but when we went higher(2500') I had to remove air filter cover to get it to pull higher rpms. Seemed to run okay so left alone until I had time to re-jet. So today lowered engine to check valves and put the 98 mains in. Leaving Dyno-Jets e-clip setting at 4 with 2 shims on top of needle and fuel screw at 3 turns. Have some Dyno-Jet 94 mains but hoping the 98's work. Don't want to lower engine again.
Anyway question I have is about a rear shock I purchased off e-bay 4 years ago. When I received shock I sent out to Progressive Shock in California for over-haul before putting on machine. I have absolutely no info on this shock however would like to get nitrogen pressure checked has its been 4 years but only about 4000kms. Anyone know what the pressure should be? A buddy of mine rebuilds snowmobile shocks so has tooling but we cann't find any info around here about the Progressive shock. Sled shocks typicially run 300psi. As well, what does the adjustment knob on the remote resevoir do? And what direction? Only been 4 years for me to wonder what it does!! :lol:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Bobber, do you have some pix of the shocks, that may help us ID them.. :idea:
ICOA # 656

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Have pictures but now have to figure out how to post.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Bobber, If D Raye is busy you can send them to me & I shall post for you... I shall send you a PM with my e-mail addy
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

bobber wrote:Have pictures but now have to figure out how to post.
Let's try a little quick tutoring:

First make sure your pictures are not larger than 650 pixels wide x 800 pixels high.
Go to the top of the page and click on CBX Photos.
You will end up in the CBX photo album.
Click on upload pics and upload the picture(s) from your PC
When they are in the CBX Photo album, open the picture and copy the picture title (link) from the browser window.
Return to the forum and start on new message.
Either add the picture before or after you write by clicking on the
"img" button -paste the link -click on the "img" button again.
I usually insert the picture first, because any use of "cut" "copy" or "delete" may make you lose your copied link. Important when you quote from somebody else's post and modify that.
Last edited by EMS on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

:D THANKS for showing me how to post pictures!!! Appreciate the help. So got 2 pictures of the remote resivoir.... didn't see point of getting one of shock considering its pretty well hidden.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Any ideas gents, I'm at a loss but I would think the knurled knob would be rebound rate.....Normally clockwise to slow down the rebound rate.....
ICOA # 656

retrex
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Shock info

Post by retrex »

I don't know about dampening, but I am pretty sure the knob controls the harshness or softness of the ride. Dampening is more of a valving issue with the shock oil I would think. I have the same shock and have been trying to find info on it myself without much luck. Mine looks practically new and rides good. I don't fiddle with the knob because the rear end seems to work well. I also have Progressive fork springs which I think are too stiff, but it could be a fork oil issue there. If you get any info on the shock post it. I would be appreciative. BTW how much did Progressive charge you to rebuild the shock?
1982 Honda CBX - Mobile and loving it

1981 GS1100EX - Undergoing rebuild

1981 GS1100EX - Rolling rebuild

Why two GS11s? A man doesn't feel like a man unless he has a big pair.

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

I'll have to check if I still have the receipt... was about 4 years ago.

Phil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Phil »

Call up Progressive and ask for an instruction / info sheet they send with the shocks when new, should explain everything.

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Got a reply back from Progressive about the nitrogen charge. All their shocks are pressured to 150psi.
Did ask for some set-up info but no response to that query.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”