530 Chain and sprocket recommendations for 79Z

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

530 Chain and sprocket recommendations for 79Z

Post by Artie »

I’ve put 10000 miles on new 630 chain with 15/32 gearing vs 15/35 stock since I’ve built it
It’s type to convert to 530 type and I want to keep the 15/32 ratio(2.133) I’ve got vs 18/42 stock (2.333)
18/40 will do it but how about 17/38
Is any advantage in using 17” countershaft sprocket
I’ve been using clips type master links for 50 years and I think once lost a chain in swamp somewhere woods riding
,but am I now crazy to think I must now buy chain tool and not use anything but rivet type
I get the O ring feature is a must ?
is the tensile strength the number to look for
Are sprockets of all CBX years same lot of vendor guides say no???
E bay has lots of choice as well as all the other vendors
I don’t really beat on my CBX but I ride it
I know that 530 is the way to go just want best options
Also curious as to chain noise
all my other bikes are 530 type and CBX does seem to have the most chain whine
Less chain noise and I can hear the Kerkers better!!
Thanx in advance

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 530 Chain and sprocket recommendations for 79Z

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I think Tims and CBXPerformance both offer 18/42 sprocket and 530 chain conversion packages.
Might save a few bucks rather than going with single purchase, potentially bastard sized sprockets.
RK o-ring chains on both the bikes, one with a clip and the other with a rivet master link. Personally speaking, i have no worries about a properly installed clip.

If your chain whine is interfering with the music from the Kerkers your drive package must be worn out.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Artie - I'll tell you what I've told many guys - go with the stock gearing in 530 - 18/42. Get the best o-ring chain you can afford, which will NOT give you the option of a clip-type master link. The best o-ring chains come with only a rivet-type link.

Two other things you should also know: The '80-'82 CBX with 530 chains also came with a 3-piece silencer bushing set-up on the front sprocket. I've picked up several on e-bay over the years, to use for these conversions. Also, the chain adjusters are different on the '80 CBX with the 530 chain from the factory. They give you a normal range of adjustment. If you use the stock '79 adjusters, the range will be biased toward one end or the other, can't remember which. Those can be found too. Louis will have all that stuff.

FWIW, that's the way I do it.

Dave

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I will add, I know of one person who geared up his '82 for lower revs while riding. After a couple years, he complained his bike didn't seem to want to rev, like it was "constipated" (his words). Turns out, his motor was severely carboned up from not keeping the revs up, where this motor was designed to run.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Thanx all
I do like 18/40 set up just a few hundred RPMs less @ 70 MPH cruise
and I still can drive away in 5th gear from a stop!..with a little clutch slip
I’ll buy or borrow chain tool no real need to take chain off regularly
It seems all top price O ring chains come w rivet
Steve
I think the 630 chain is very noisy since day one ,it even looks enormous !

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Rick Pope wrote:I will add, I know of one person who geared up his '82 for lower revs while riding. After a couple years, he complained his bike didn't seem to want to rev, like it was "constipated" (his words). Turns out, his motor was severely carboned up from not keeping the revs up, where this motor was designed to run.
Not to flame anybody but sounds like the type of rider that’s chugs around in 5 th gear by 45 MPH
booooring

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Has anyone come across what I think is an issue when converting to the 530 chain and sprockets - the actual gearing chosen is not the problem rather that using a rubber cushioned front sprocket from JT - JTF339RB. My concern is the offset of the sprocket versus the standard because the rubber extends beyond the inner steel ring to an extent that it will rub on the crankcases. The second concern is that this sprocket will therefore offset the chain with respect to the rear sprocket and therefore be out of alignment and I believe that there is no way of easily adjusting this at the rear end unless I machine the standard spacers or add washers?

The standard 630 sprocket has a lip on one side (the side that accepts the bolt and washer) and the other side mates flush with the output shaft and should therefore mean that the chain is positioned closer to the crankcases, no bad thing I guess. So the question is, did I buy the correct 530 rubber cushioned sprocket. I'm hoping someone else has come across this situation before and can enlighten me. Thanks

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The correct 530 front sprocket has the same shape as the 630. The Honda cushion system bolts right on. It goes on the outside of the sprocket, not the inside and you must orient the sprocket correctly. The biggest problem is the chain adjusters - they are almost out of adjustment if you stay with the '79 adjusters. '80 adjusters make the complete conversion.

Dave

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Thanks, what is the Honda cushion system please? In the photos I have attached the 630 sprocket is flat on the side that mates to the crankcase side but the JT sprocket has rubber either side sticking out past the surface.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I never saw a sprocket like you have, know nothing about it. Looks on the parts fiche of the '80 (or '81-'82) CBX and you will see the front sprocket cushion parts.

Dave

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

Thanks, what is the Honda cushion system?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

What I said before.

Dave

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

OK, where might one obtain a Honda cushion system? Thanks

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm sure some show up over there, but Louis here in the states will fix you up and certainly ship.

scottish CBX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by scottish CBX »

You wouldn't happen to have photos of these would you please? Thanks

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”