Change Fork Oil

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Change Fork Oil

Post by tazz »

Hi guys I'm going to be change my fork oil just draining and refill I'm a little confused on oil that you put back book say 305cc = 10.3oz or do I have to remove that fork spring fill fork to 6in from top. Also what best to use ATF or 15w or 20w fork oil. Does one fork take more cc than the other.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Change Fork Oil

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Spring removed, tube collapsed, fill to 6" from the top with 10wt. fork oil.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Spring removed, tube collapsed, fill to 6" from the top with 10wt. fork oil.
I do nearly the same, but 6 1/2" and 15w. But. I likely weigh a bit more...............

You need to leave some air space so you're not hydro-locking the forks. Play with it and see what works best for your weight and riding style. It's easy enough to drain and refill.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

Thank; On my 81 isn't that fork bolt under a LOTS of pressure for that spring to remove the bolt.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

tazz wrote:Thank; On my 81 isn't that fork bolt under a LOTS of pressure for that spring to remove the bolt.
Also I heard of some using motor oil on the fork like 10w40 or MMO want do you guys think of that is it Ok or safe

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

tazz wrote:Thank; On my 81 isn't that fork bolt under a LOTS of pressure for that spring to remove the bolt.
When you say "bolt", do you mean the fork cap? Yes, it's under pressure as it's pre-loading the spring. Just use a socket to loosen it, and push down as you unscrew it. It won't fly into space, but may pop up a couple of inches.

Your next question about using motor oil puzzles me. Fork oil isn't that expensive, and is designed for the job at hand.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

In the manual it says to use ATF oil and it would be fine in a pinch. Fork oil is the thing to use now days.

tazz
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by tazz »

OK Guys All done It went smooth used Bel-Ray fork oil 15w Thank again for your help.

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”