Front fork leaks air presure

porschekz
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Front fork leaks air presure

Post by porschekz »

I just refurbished my 1980 air compressed front fork with new seals, but they lealks the air pressure rapidely. Everything looks ok therefore where is the problem?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Front fork leaks air presure

Post by NobleHops »

Where is it leaking from? The caps, the crossover tube, the Schraeder valve? Put some dishwashing soap in a sprayer with water, pump up the fork, and then spray these areas with the soapy water. When it bubbles, you've found your problem. Some people think that air fork doesn't do much for you, and I agree. There is not much volume to work with. I also have an '80 and my crossover tube is removed and I do not pressurize the fork with air. Works fine.

If you are not going for a 100% correct restoration,m I'd say "remove the crossover tube" and cap the air caps.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Front fork leaks air presure

Post by daves79x »

The '80 did not come stock with a cross-over tube - just two separate air caps. Does yours have one? If not, then surely both are not leaking. Zero in on the leak as Nils described- you'll find it.

Dave

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”