Ordered a Wilbers rear shock for my 82 Pro Link

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Ordered a Wilbers rear shock for my 82 Pro Link

Post by swarrans »

The most shocking thing to me is the price!
My OEM shock was knackered but I temporarily used one from a CBR600 - I know, but actually it worked very well and it will be interesting to see how much better the custom Wilbers one is (I really hope it is otherwise I'll be sick!)
The only thing I was still worried about was the ride height was bit low with the BT45 lower profile rear tyre and was very upright on the side stand (fell over once too!).
So I have "invested" in a custom length Wilbers shock that is being built for me - only time will tell if this was a good purchase..

Simon

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Ordered a Wilbers rear shock for my 82 Pro Link

Post by daves79x »

Investing in the correct rear tire might have been a cheaper alternative, then go with 'off-the-shelf' length shock.

Dave

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

The Wilbers rear shock offers a custom rear length included in the price Dave.

I did consider other alternatives but they weren't much cheaper to be honest - we don't get the same deal in the UK as you can get on the Progressive shock for instance and if we order from the US we get clobbered by taxes and duties coming in.

Again, in the UK it doesn't seem so easy to get a 90 profile rear tyre. I really like Bridgestone BT45 tyres and when I bought my bike it came with a brand new set so it would have cost more in fact to junk the new tyres and buy a standard length shock.

Wilbers do have a good reputation over here - I just hope I can tell the difference!

Simon

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Oh, I think you will see a difference. Although the Honda 600 shock you had on there was likely not bad. The tire thing is more than standing more upright. Near impossible to centerstand and handling isn't what was intended either. But lots of guys run them and deal with it.

Dave

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

Wilbers monoshock fitted and a great success - soaks up bumps with aplomb, easier to get onto centre stand, and a much safer angle of lean when on the side stand - looks nice too with it's blue spring! I added 5mm to the length of the shock which gave about 15mm at the axle, slightly more than compensating for the perhaps 10mm smaller radius of the 80 profile rear tyre. All in all £350 well spent (probably!)

Of course the front now feels a bit unsophisticated in comparison, but I can't bring myself to try and do anything about that with emulators etc!

Simon

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Good looking unit, Simon. Similar in overall concept and execution to the Progressive unit here in the states. Yes, significant improvement to ride quality! Regarding the front suspension, emulators are not a difficult thing if you can do much do-it-yourself. Basically, fork disassembly/reassembly. The only 'machining' required is to drill some holes in the damper tube. Might be able to accomplish with a hand-held drill motor. However, a simple drill press makes it quite easy. The emulators (those from Racetech) just sit on top of the damper tubes with the springs on top of them. Truly, a 'drop-in' thing. If I remember correctly, you might need different springs than stock to accommodate the emulator length. And, then, different preload spacers. (These can be PVC plumbing pipe.)
However, enjoy your 'new' ride.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

swarrans
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by swarrans »

Thanks Larry - maybe one day...

BTW I lived in Ann Arbor for 4 years - best 4 years of my life actually. We used to go to Brighton occasionally (skiing on Mount Trashmore?!)

Simon

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Nice piece Simon, money well spent.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

swarrans wrote:Thanks Larry - maybe one day...

BTW I lived in Ann Arbor for 4 years - best 4 years of my life actually. We used to go to Brighton occasionally (skiing on Mount Trashmore?!)

Simon
Good stuff, Simon. Riding weather finally became reasonable, here the past couple weeks. FYI, Mt Trashmore has been bought by the guys in Colorado. Pumped about $10M into improvements. "Big City' stuff, now. Miss the country city we had years back. Progress. Have a great Summer!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”