Who has interest in Racetech rear suspension/for Pro-link?

Who has interest in Racetech rear suspension/for Pro-link?

Postby RJ CB650 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:18 pm

So an issue with my rear suspension on my 82. Is still the air and want to replace it so I don't blow it or wear it beyond serviceability.

Progressive Customer service response to some technical questions immediately put me to the no zone on their stuff from now on.

Been in contact with race-tech. While the Pro-link became a long running suspension, they are apprehensive about supplying one for the bike without actually being able to test and fit on an actual road bike. They also say that for a low run bike, it means they probably would not be able to freebee one out. But am curious how many people would be interested in this for their Pro-link CBX? Anybody also in south cali that perhaps would be also interested in usage for mockup?

Else any other options besides the progressive 465....
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Who has interest in Racetech rear suspension/for Pro-lin

Postby Larry Zimmer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Don't know anything about the Racetech for the rear. I do know that I'm plenty happy with the Progressive 465.
Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Postby cross » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:53 am

I also have Progressive 465 and love it. I think one other option is Hagon from UK at more money and not big support in the US in the case of warranty claim
Sasha
cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby steve murdoch icoa #5322 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 am

RJ, curious as to how your dealings with Progressive Tech went south?
steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Postby daves79x » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:38 am

Don't overthink this one - just buy the Progressive and be done with it. It will do everything and more that you'll ever want to do with a Pro-Link on the street. There are also a couple of other off-the-shelf options out there if you don't like dealing with Progressive. I'd go that route rather than be a test case for Race-Tech.

Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Postby Larry Zimmer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 am

One other bit of input: the RaceTech gold valves are worth it for the forks. DIY for about $150.
Larry Zimmer

Postby RJ CB650 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Hiya all.

To answer all the questions, I am overhauling the suspension for the spring for the bike. I am doing a 100% rebuild on the front right down to new slide tubes and the Racetech valves, new springs, etc. Only thing not new in the front is the bottom tubes, the dampers, and the caps.

As to the issues with the rear and progressive. Is two fold. First is my parts guy I get stuff brought in with, didn't have the correct 465 P/N assembly listed that is needed for the CBX. On the website, it also no longer had the remote preload adjust that I thought it used to have. I was in contact with racetech the same time I contacted progressive to ask questions about the RAP and about getting in Canada plus another couple technical questions. After days of no word, I got a single sentence reply that "It is not available with RAP" and not addressing any of the technical questions. The RAP, question was only on the end as a side note in my email.

What are the other off the shelf options? I couldn't find any?
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Postby daves79x » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm

The CBX Progressive never had remote adjustments. I’ll get back to you on other options.

Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Postby RJ CB650 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Thanks Dave. Been so busy, I have neglected the forums since you last saw me. Just kept working on the bike. It actually won best bike of show at the largest show our city hosts last year. I am planning on getting it all good for longer rides next year. We do a big vintage bike rally and get together, so that will be a 700km round tripper ^.^ It is one of the driving factor in finally pulling out the air, just to be fully ready.
RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Postby budanddar » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Hi fellas,

This is Bud from Palm Desert CA. Have a 1981 and have a problem with the dash warning light for the air mono shock. It appears to be an issue with the wiring not the actual pressure switch so the light stays on. What you are saying is to replace the mono shock with these other products? My guess is that technology has changed and the air ride is no longer used.

Bud
budanddar
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Postby daves79x » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 pm

The stock rear shock on the Pro-Links were junk from day one. Replacing it is the best thing you can do to the bike. Since the thread began, our friend Nils from Resto-Cycle carries Ikon’s new rear shock for the Pro-Link. It has proven to be a sound option as well after a recent 2000 mile test ride.

Dave
daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Postby NobleHops » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Dave, thanks.

As several of you guys know RestoCycle took over the main west coast distribution for Ikon Suspension a few years ago and we are now the largest stocking dealer of Ikon products in the country. When I tore into the Prolink project I pulled the shock out immediately and sent it off to Australia and they developed a brand-new application of their excellent 3610 shock for it. This is a thoroughly modern shock, monotube floating piston, gas-charged non-emulsion design. Very stout, very well damped, and uses screw-and-locknut adjusters for preload adjustment. 4-way adjustable for damping.

Prolink Shock.jpg

We took it on a very thorough test ride last month, 2000+ miles of western desert and mountain riding, and the shock was, in a word, excellent. If anything it showed a mismatch in the damping I setup in my RaceTech'ed fork, as the front was slightly less damped, and made the bike wallow slightly at supra-legal speeds in high-speed sweepers. I will extract the emulators for adjustment as a result!

I bought two more of these shocks, one for my second Prolink and the other is for sale, and it is offered at a cool $100 off retail at $550. Just use the discount code "CBXPARTS" (without quotes) at checkout to receive the discount. There is only one on offer, first come, first served.

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/ ... k-absorber

ALSO!

We are RaceTech dealers as well, and would be happy to help you with any of those products too. We are huge fans of these fork products, use them pretty much whenever we have the budget on our restoration work, and we have found that they are an excellent complement to the damping of the Ikon 76 and 7610 shocks at the rear. Plus we are happy to install these too, including refinishing your fork legs as needed, spinning the fork tubes on the lathe, and checking them for runout. I'll toss in here that RaceTech strongly advises the use of their straight-rate springs in conjunction with the emulators, notwithstanding the happiness some folks apparently have using them in conjunction with the stock progressive springs. YMMV :-). One clear benefit of using the RaceTech springs is the ability to get very precise with the spring rate, as they offer a big selection of those.

Be in touch if we can help, even if its just for advice.

Best,

Nils Menten
RestoCycle LLC
Ikon Shocks USA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Do Vapor Blasting! http://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9881

Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

http://www.restocycle.com Ikon shocks for your CBX! https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/collections/honda/honda-cbx1000-79-80
NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Return to HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more