Fork rebuild 80X

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Fork rebuild 80X

Post by Michael Vidovic »

Hi all
Am looking to drop forks and put new springs, seals and covers in. Any ideas what is the best way to jack the bike up safely, only has side stand, it will be sitting for a little while.
Let me know.
Thanks.
Michael.
...always walk out of the room smarter than you walked in...

johnod
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Fork rebuild 80X

Post by johnod »

I did the same thing last winter, but did have a centre stand, just used a small car jack. It worked fine

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Hey sorry this went unanswered.

If you don't have a centerstand that's a conundrum. My old racebike didn't offer an easy way to mount spools for the use of a rear stand, so I used something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/CHN-RRS-1-Stand-S ... d+no+spool

This one has the option of spools or you can opt to use the trays. So I'd say, get a stand like this, raise the rear and maybe strap the bike and stand so it will not move, then put a pot or scissor jack under the engine just in front of the oil sump. There are a couple of solid lumps under there - cut a little piece of soft pine 1 x 4 to fit that space, put the pot jack under it, and s l o w l y jack the front up.

Given the fork clamps these bikes use you don't need to jack it much more than an inch to roll the front wheel out once those front axle clamps are out, then the remainder of the disassembly is straightforward.

BE CAREFUL. Strap it once it's jacked and make certain its stable. Good luck!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Thanks guys, will give it a go

Michael Vidovic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

NobleHops wrote:Hey sorry this went unanswered.

If you don't have a centerstand that's a conundrum. My old racebike didn't offer an easy way to mount spools for the use of a rear stand, so I used something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/CHN-RRS-1-Stand-S ... d+no+spool

This one has the option of spools or you can opt to use the trays. So I'd say, get a stand like this, raise the rear and maybe strap the bike and stand so it will not move, then put a pot or scissor jack under the engine just in front of the oil sump. There are a couple of solid lumps under there - cut a little piece of soft pine 1 x 4 to fit that space, put the pot jack under it, and s l o w l y jack the front up.

Given the fork clamps these bikes use you don't need to jack it much more than an inch to roll the front wheel out once those front axle clamps are out, then the remainder of the disassembly is straightforward.

BE CAREFUL. Strap it once it's jacked and make certain its stable. Good luck!
Thanks, all worked out well

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”