RC Engineering exhaust

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: RC Engineering exhaust

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Baffles are out there, I have changed my baffles on my GL 1500 to a Samson USA baffles and reduced the ID to help back pressure and Silence it down , The Loudest thing i own is my Lawn Tractor ! most lawnmowers are in violation with City ordinances for sound, these are similar but not exact on E-Bay, No funnel formed inside for flow increase shown not as well designed as RC.. but for the backyard Mech larger longer baffles can be made to fit these cans, RC are lighter than stock and have performance advantages over stock,not sure why you are changing over from stock, my App was a no brain'r, i own a 100% Stock CB 750 that took me 5 years to find the stock F2-3 muffler to keep original so i understand Dave79 and his personal opinion..but i remind myself that Russ Collins my old neighbor from Gardena Ca was not a man of Opinion but a man with Proven World Records for 12 years and the first to make the 4-1 header for the CB 750, Lets not forget All motorcycle Manufactures rate the performance by 1/4 mile times ..Not by the Isle Of Man races ..So Like the Manufactures Fast and Straight is all the CBX is to me also 8) http://www.ebay.com/itm/baffle-exhaust- ... 1616657639

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

My bike came with DG 6-1 but I would like a little more grunt plus I do like look of cone shaped mufflers on both sides of the bike.
I do however have the original exhaust that also came with the bike that is in pretty good shape I just don't care for that look and sound.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you want a 'little more grunt', put the stock exhaust back on - seriously.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Dave 79 Could you give us a Dyno Chart or something to explain your post without your opinion ? that would be of interest

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

cross wrote:Oh well, I just bought them last night.
I guess I'll have to remove the center stand altogether, right?
Do you have pictures of your bike with them on?
Thanks
Here's a link to the best [large] picture I have of the bike with the RC exhaust system on it. There was no centerstand stop -- the CS would go back as far as it went on its own. The foot tab would be a few mm from the muffler. It would sometimes contact the muffler when getting the bike off the stand. http://i.imgur.com/IRDP41J.jpg

Here's a link to a [very poor] video of what they sounded like: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ZGrand/ ... sort=4&o=8

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Oh my! That bike is a beauty!!! And that exhaust looks great on it too.
Someone here had mentioned that 79 has side and center stand with slight different location then prolink models but, i guess i'll find out very soon!
Do you have any wrap around buffle in that video?
Thanks for posting links
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

cross wrote:Do you have any wrap around baffle in that video?
Thanks for posting links
I don't know -- I never removed the baffle. I'm guessing no.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

1008101902a.jpg
Z Grand your bike looks Sweet ! just to clear the Air here with exhaust headers, couple of my friends and my self have many Hrs of Dyno time with our GL 1500 6 bangers, shown on this chart is substantial HP increases with just the addition of Headers and tuning, in 2001 i added headers to my brand new 2001 Valkyrie and a jet kit from Dynojet, and then ran it on my Friends Dr Dyno for results, my 90 hp GL 1500 picked up almost 9 Hp to 98.6 with nothing more than headers and tuning (I have the chart) but what is more impressive is after installing a Supercharger and using Stock exhaust vs Headers we seen Substantial Hp increases by the use of true performance header, Here is a chart of some friends searching for Hp , Lamont started with 128 hp using stock exhaust with modified glasspack, I have the same setup and put a True header on and found 144 hp with just exhaust and jetting/timing with identical Supercharged setup (I have the Chart) 143.2 hp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

In every instance you cite, you also made several other changes beside the exhaust. That wasn't the discussion. And a GL1500 is not a CBX. Let us know when you and your friends have equal time on the dyno with a CBX.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gearheadgregg wrote:Dave 79 Could you give us a Dyno Chart or something to explain your post without your opinion ? that would be of interest
It is a well known fact that exhausts with crossover pipes do deliver more torque in the mid-rpm range than separate pipes. Even on a two-cylinder motor. Torque translates into seat-of-the pants feel, horsepower does not.
That's why a 240hp RAM Diesel has a better towing performance than my 440hp Corvette
I guess this is the reason Dave made this comment. You may get more horsepower with a performance exhaust on a Prolink at 8,000 rpm or above, but nothing beats the stock pipes between 2000 and 5000 rpm in torque.
Another opinion.

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

well i guess this is just about opinions, I asked for some data or Dyno facts ? but just more unfounded opinions..guess i should have seen this coming, no secrete the CBX is no torque monster, still have not seen any Drag bikes running stock exhaust ? guess i will just go Lube up both my 630 chains on My CB 750 and CBX ...then go ask what Tires are the best...and then Try to find the Best Oil recommendation here on a Oil thread .....geeesssss lol :lol:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You need to understand that most of us here are not interested any longer, if we ever were, about straight-line drag strip performance from a CBX. Most guys want their CBX(s) to run as close to how Honda built them and are tickled to death when they finally get there. Some like their aftermarket pipes, Pipemasters being one of the most popular for their classic looks. Most pipes have, as Mike said, limitations somewhere in the rev range, most noticeably a flat spot somewhere that just can't be jetted out. Now if you bolt on as set of smoothbores or flatslides and play with the jetting a lot, in combination with whatever pipe you like, you'll get significant gains, but mostly due to the carbs. But don't expect nice street manners. Everything is a compromise. I still maintain that the biggest reason for feeling a bike has more HP by just bolting on a pipe is the weight savings, not actual HP increase. With a lot of carb fiddling, you can make most pipes add maybe 5 or so max HP, but it won't be where you want it.

Back to what most guys want from their CBXs these days: A bike that runs as Honda intended, and that's no small feat on a 35 year-old bike. As far as value (which a lot of guys are focused on), you won't see a heavily modded CBX fetch anywhere near what a very nice, properly sorted stock bike will.

This has gotten way too contentious and that's all the more I have to say. Carry on

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

LOL several CBX owners on this thread have chimed in about RC pipes regardless of the Negative comments and opinions from the peanut gallery we will still bolt on our RC pipes and enjoy the noise , If this is too contentious about a few happy guys bolting on some Vintage headers for some to handle i would suggest some therapy..It's a TOY that's it !! I had to look to see if i was a on a Harley site for moment , Enjoy your Stock Pipes We will Enjoy our RC pipes..This is hilarious

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Nicely said Dave!!!

My bike came with original exhaust in the box and that exactly why I'm keeping it. In the case that when I ever sell my bike, that new owner can have option to bring it to stock.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gearheadgregg wrote: I had to look to see if i was a on a Harley site for moment ,
Seriously??? :o If you are into noise and horsepower numbers at rpms that nobody rides on the street in the U.S., you should go to a Harley site indeed!!
In the meantime, take a deep breath, sit down and try to understand what we are saying:
Most everybody who owns a CBX is interested in getting a good running bike for the street, not the dragstrip!
I will agree with you, that you will not see a stock pipe on a dragbike! But WHAT ELSE is not stock on a drag bike??
A turbo would be a perfect application for a CBX on the dragstrip! Throttle wide open, all the time.
Anybody who ever rode a turbo bike knows how USELESS that performance is to ride on the street, especially one with turns that require frequent throttle roll-off and roll-ons.

I think Dave said everything there was to say already! 8)

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”