RC Engineering exhaust

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: RC Engineering exhaust

Post by Gearheadgregg »

EMS wrote:
Gearheadgregg wrote: I had to look to see if i was a on a Harley site for moment ,
Seriously??? :o If you are into noise and horsepower numbers at rpms that nobody rides on the street in the U.S., you should go to a Harley site indeed!!
In the meantime, take a deep breath, sit down and try to understand what we are saying:
Most everybody who owns a CBX is interested in getting a good running bike for the street, not the dragstrip!
I will agree with you, that you will not see a stock pipe on a dragbike! But WHAT ELSE is not stock on a drag bike??
A turbo would be a perfect application for a CBX on the dragstrip! Throttle wide open, all the time.
Anybody who ever rode a turbo bike knows how USELESS that performance is to ride on the street, especially one with turns that require frequent throttle roll-off and roll-ons.

I think Dave said everything there was to say already! 8)
First of all the 1979 did not have a crossover pipe, It was Not a dragbike and was the most powerful year and fastest, So if you re-read my post I was sending some tips to Quite Down with the Use of Baffle Wrap ??? wtf ? DID You Not read anything here ? Are You guys Serious ? Furthermore ! I will be riding the $hit outa my CBX in a month or so, And i will be Stuffing the $hit out of the Baffles ! Dave Is a Big Boy he does not need your help on his opinions. He Has plenty to go around ! Also I have Road all over the Country on a Supercharged Honda 6 Cylinder and with Proper Tuning it is Smooth as Glass , so for those that don't understand Tuning Should not be doing Forced induction ! And after 35,000 miles Blown I am still Enjoying my 100.000 mile Warranted Supercharger on a water cooled GL1500 cruising down the hwy on those 500 mile days, The Attitude here with anyone that steps out the Box has been Criticized by the same crowed ! You guys are obvious This is not the first time i have seen so Much Negative here ..Lighten Up ! This just about a Vintage Exhaust ? wtf call the cops for goodness sake ,

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Gearheadgregg wrote: First of all the 1979 did not have a crossover pipe, It was Not a dragbike and was the most powerful year and fastest, ,
Nobody said it did have a crossover pipe.
The most powerful... what does that mean?
If you compare the torque curves of a 1979 and a 1981, you will see that the 81 has more torque in mid-range.
The 79 had the most horsepower, yes. For someone who just sees horsepower as power, it may be true.
The fact that it was the fastest may have to do with the fact that it was also the lightest.
I dare you to tell the difference between a 103 and a 100 horsepower bike by riding it.
I know a lot of guys who live by horsepower numbers. I think it has something to do with ego. :?
I also know that Dave doesn't need any help with his opinions. Just so happens that we share the same.
And looking at all the posts, the advice to lighten up - you should take it to heart! 8)

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Cross would you be interested in selling the RC Exhaust ? Greg

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2920.JPG
RC exhaust Re Chromed,, RIP Russ Collins !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gearheadgregg on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Looks amazing Greg. I haven't had any luck getting chromers to work on exhaust systems. What was the magic? The removable baffles? The bike looks outstanding.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Thank you! We have one chrome shop here in the state, been using them for years , I have had them chrome MC mufflers with stock non-removable baffles , they didn't seem to mind,,,RC don't have much to them,, one set screw and out comes the baffle, Only thing is these Chrome shops work on too many 1/4 inch thick Car bumpers...They tend to sand TOO MUCH and did sand through one,,, i had to have repaired and then chromed,,It was Cheaper than Ceramic Coat to have Chrome.."what's up with the Powder coat guys" ? My 1978 CB 750 was chromed by the same co,,,5 years and NO Blueing ..Single wall also

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Gregg, would you be able to post their name and some access? I think this group, alone, could keep them in business for quite a while! Those pipes look fabulous. Bike looks goood, too. And, yes, God bless RC. Good stuff he gave us.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

Dave @ D & D Chrome Prov RI..here is his link> https://www.facebook.com/pages/DD-chrom ... 0848527724 ..nice to see Russ jr his son rebuilding the Attkinson and the Sorcerer, World record holder for 12 years Top fuel . now Larry McBride "Spiderman" both Inline 4 cylinders World record holders to date, Spiderman is doing it with one motor ..amazing !! Here is the link for Russ Collins jr Resto of the dragbikes http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,99452.0.html

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Gearheadgregg wrote:Cross would you be interested in selling the RC Exhaust ? Greg
Hi Greg,

I'm not sure yet what I will do with them. They are ceramic coated silver/gray and I don't care for the look, I may try to get them chromed. They haven't been installed since ceramic coating so they are nice and clean.
Did you have to change your side stand at all? WhAt about center stand?
Thanks
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

cross wrote:
Gearheadgregg wrote:Cross would you be interested in selling the RC Exhaust ? Greg
Hi Greg,

I'm not sure yet what I will do with them. They are ceramic coated silver/gray and I don't care for the look, I may try to get them chromed. They haven't been installed since ceramic coating so they are nice and clean.
Did you have to change your side stand at all? WhAt about center stand?
Thanks
Sasha
ok if you ever decide to sell please let me know, Sidestand fits no problem....."well what is left of mine ??" :lol:
this bike had everything remove for 1/4 mile racing so it had no Centerstand , Plenty of room under center for stand. pipes are way off to the side of the frame.. Member Z-grand has a set of RC pipes that i believe had no issues with stands . maybe a rubber Stop pad needed for Contact with Up position. Greg

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

And is any jetting required?
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

cross wrote:And is any jetting required?
This RC exhaust is a Large tube Big Collector free flowing race true performance header..i pictured my engine to show Head-Port opened up, My guess as with Any true Race Header HP will decrease without Jetting , Honda set the CBX up real Lean from the factory to comply with EPA , and Restricted the exhaust on later models for more back-pressure with a crossover to move Torque range down lower in the RPM range , Any Small tube restricted exhaust will help low end torque but will suffer HP on the top end, So Yes even with stock Air-box you could loose HP..More Airflow Makes need for More fuel to bring improvement to benefit your headers..But maybe the sound will be worth the effort, Not all aftermarket systems will need jetting ..RC is more of a Race pipe.. BTW I don't have any CV carbs on any of my motorcycles , I removed the 6 Kehin 28mm CV carbs off my GL 1500 Valkyrie , They really are not a race carb , looking at a set of Round slides from Tims for this bike..JMHO

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

I've heard that those round slide carbs are a bit too much for CBX but than again I wouldn't know.
I currently have DG 6-1 and all power is after about 6k with flat spot mid 5k.
What would be you suggestion as far as jetting and air Box goes?
K&N pods + jetting or stock airbox + jetting?
Thank you
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

For street use on a stock Cbx the Round slide could be much..My gearing is much lower, Head porting Webcams, big bore and some Dyno time and jetting with a tuneable Mechanical carb should be reasonable, Having access to a friends Dyno 2 miles away with a Sniffer helps, Not sure about the 1981-82 CBX carb , But most ...should i say Everybody goes right to the Main Jet for fuel enrichment ? 90 % of ALL street use up to 1/2 throttle is through the Idle circuit ! I have completely Removed my Main Jet On my 45 Flatslide carb put it back on the motor and test drove trying tuning procedures it ran fine until i hammered it and then it broke up ! Pods are not the answer you need negative pressure "Restricted" in your Airbox to correctly pull fuel through the Air bleeds and stock jet configuration, The best thing i have done was always start with the Idle jet if modified exhaust , try it first and then roll on hard the throttle for Top end performance for Main jet test,again not sure about 1980-81-82 carb the 79 carb is more desirable and has slow jet http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CBX-1000- ... 7675.l2557

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RJ CB650 »

Bump!

Aah.... so this is the exhaust that is on my bike. Been off and on trying to track it down and through lucky pic finds, finally determined that these pipes are what are currently on the bike.

Avoiding the flame stuff, anybody have unbiased information on these pipes? Quality, rarity, etc? I love the sound of em, and now that it is tuned in correctly, really liking the ride, but been trying to find a proper collection of info.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”