ceramic coating on the inside of headers?

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

ceramic coating on the inside of headers?

Post by wyly »

z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: ceramic coating on the inside of headers?

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

5 or 6? years ago i was considering Jet-Hot ceramic on some rusty headers and they suggested coating the inside as well.
One of their theories was that just doing the outside could "trap" the heat in the pipes causing the metal to fatigue quicker. Sort of like the cafe guys and their header wrap.
I would check with PipeMasters first. Aren't some their systems partially stainless?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I agree with Steve inasmuch the effectiveness of inside coating depends on the header design and material and what you want to achieve.
I don't know what a "heat transfer" advantage would bring you, but I coated the inside of the (single wall) header tubes on a new exhaust for my 1977 BMW R100S, as they are very prone to blueing.
I did earn some really derogatory comments from some "diehards" in the "Airhead' community who hold the believe that the headers should be blue, to show the bike is ridden correctly. :think:
I coated the headers myself with a liquid product -can't think of the name anymore, for the life of myself.
It did want I wanted it to do. The headers are not blue. 8)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am not sure whether coating is a rust prevention. Rust does not occur in the inside of the header but in most cases at the muffler inlet or collector, where the condensation water accumulates at the lowest point of the exhaust. In the original CBX exhaust, that would be the collector. Most exhausts have a small drain hole right there.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

The OEM pipes last a long time if you don't get water in them when you wash the bike and if you don't shut off the engine until everything is toasty. Whatever you do, don't start up once you've put the bike away for the winter; wait for spring.
Al

Z Grand
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Z Grand »

I had a set of Laser headers ceramic coated on the inside (as far as they could get the coating down the pipes). I had them on the bike for about 5 years. They were single-walled pipes and they looked great for the first few years. They didn't blue, but they would turn a golden color. Polishing them would clean them up for a couple weeks, then they would turn golden again. I think perhaps the ceramic coating on the inside may have worn away somewhat over time. They still weren't bad, but I replaced them with the Sankei-style replicas or I'd probably still be running them.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just an FYI - the standard Pipemasters come with chromed steel headers and stainless mufflers, but you can order them in 100% stainless for a bit more money.

Dave

Gearheadgregg
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Gearheadgregg »

trying to stay away from any chrome bits on my CBX build, I have a 14 year old set of custom headers on my flat 6 GL that are Ceramic coated, never turned Blue or Gold, and they have glowed Red on Dyno pulls, but they now have a couple of small rust spots, gonna re coat next winter, my understanding is coating the inside will keep the heat in the exhaust and help with scavenging on a tuned exhaust, i have waaayyy too much chrome on my GL is the only reason for chrome delete on the CBX http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarg ... 194229.jpg

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

...and on the other end of the spectrum, I have a set of 6-6 Pipemasters that are all chrome. :think:

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

Z
Last edited by wyly on Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”