Aftermarket pipes with a sport kitted '80

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aftermarket pipes with a sport kitted '80

Post by bdento59 »

Anyone who has successfully fitted an aftermarket exhaust onto a '80 fitted with the sport kit peg brackets and long brake pedal shaft, pls let me know? Having trouble with brake pedal clearance and bracket alignment issues with a Bassani 6-2-1 that I purchased several years back and may have to go to plan C if I can't make it work. TIA...
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Re: Aftermarket pipes with a sport kitted '80

Post by Rick Pope »

hey Bill, How have you been?

A few years ago, Jan Ringnalda, Dave McMunn and I spent a weekend putting Mike Barone's '80 together. I had just the configuration you are speaking of. I don't recall any issues, other than having to put the rear axle in backwards to clear the muffler.

Perhaps one of them has a better memory than I. They're both younger. :o
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Bill - by 'long brake pedal shaft', do you mean the sport kit is missing the special brake spindle and you are using a standard one? If so, you might have an issue with clearance. You can also cut and rework a stock one to work more like the sport kit one. I can probably loan you one for a pattern.

Now if you have the correct sport kit parts, then the exhaust should bolt right up with no problems.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

He is talking about "brake pedal clearance", which I don't think is caused by the wrong spindle. As the brake pedals are the same for sport kit and U.S. version, he may have the wrong brake pedal :? :o ...but what would that be.. :?: :?:

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

Hi guys (hi Rick, doing okay except for a bout of vertigo/vestibular neuritis, other than that doing well, thanks for asking),

As usual, I'm showing my ognorance, which is always available in abundance. Having never had a second CB-X not fitted with the sport kit, I thought that the sport kit had a longer brake pedal than the original. I also don't know if the kit has the special spindle that Dave refered to, because the kit was already installed when I bought the bike in 2003. How can I tell if I have the corrct spindle? My brake pedal measures about 11" from the pivot to the front of the step pad.

Perhaps if someone sent me some shots of regular vs sport kit, and maybe some shots of the Bassani set up installed as reference that might help a lot.

The clearance issue I seem to be having is that the muffer housing is so close to the bottom of the brake pedal that it will hit it before I can apply full brake pressure.

As alway, TIA to all for tour help. Inreally don't want to have to sell this exhaust after spending the money to buy it then get it powder coated!
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

No, the brake pedal is the same for all versions. Unlike the 750/900/1100F sport kits that had shorter pedals. If that is your clearance problem, consider whether your Bassani bracket is in the correct place and does it mount on the rear of the footplate bracket? The exhaust mounting holes are exactly the same for the sport kit, so the Bassani correctly fitted should work. The brake pedal spindle should be the correct one if your bike came to you with the sport kit. It has a slightly different configuration for the spring mounting and the attachment for the master cylinder rod due to the new angle the sport kit plate requires.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Its a close fit, you will need to adjust the brake arm and master cylinder so the brake arm sits even with the foot peg, it also helps to bleed your rear brakes so the travel of the brake arm is as minimal as possible, you want the shortest throw you can get.

This is Mike Barone's old bike and how it should look with a Bassani mounted.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Great find, Jeff!

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Do you have room enough in the "brake released" position to rotate the brake pedal up on the serrations without it hitting the bottom of the footpeg? This may give you clearance when the pedal is depressed.
I would not worry about the spindle. It may be the correct one, even if not, it is not the cause of the problem. Your issue is with the footpeg bracket and the exhaust mounting.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Bill now that I think about it a bit, I may have ground a small amount of material from the brake arm at the inside of the apex, so the brake arm would fit closer to the foot peg, thus giving the arm a little more travel. I don't believe I had to oblong the hole in the Bassani's mounting bracket on the megaphone but that is always an option for you too.

I may not be an engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Bill, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

Thanks fellas. I'll have to fidget with it some more now that I know it "should" work. A side on shot of MB's setup would benice if anyone has one, as it would give me perspective on all the pieces in place. Also, the mounting hole on the megaphone is already oblonged on my example. Btw, does it mount in the same hole with the same nut/bolt as the OEM muffler, or does it mount on the passanger peg hardware? Once again, TIA!
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Bill:

The way many aftermarket can slip over their collectors, there is usually quite a bit of come-and-go. I can't tell you which mounting hole the hanger goes in, but depending on how far the can is slid into (or over) the collector, it may fit in either. Or maybe the Bassani is all one-piece?

The way to adjust your rear brake pedal is not to rotate it on the splines - you loosen the locknut on the master cylinder rod and turn the rod in or out to move the pedal up or down. Yes, moving it as far up to the bottom of the footpeg would be what you'd want here.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote: The way to adjust your rear brake pedal is not to rotate it on the splines - Dave
This being said - you need to make sure that the punch mark on the pivot shaft is aligned with the punch mark on the pedal. If not, that may also be the reason for the interference. 8)

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Bill, this is the only other pic I can find at the moment, not sure if it helps you any, maybe you can zoom in on that spot.
It's been so long I don't remember which mounting position I used.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

bdento59 wrote: , does it mount in the same hole with the same nut/bolt as the OEM muffler, or does it mount on the passanger peg hardware? Once again, TIA!
I don't want to nitpick...but the OEM muffler has a bracket with two mounting holes. The rear hole uses the same mount as the passenger footpeg.

Steve Murdoch posted this pic in a different thread and here it looks like the front exhaust hanger mounting hole is not being used for the Bassani bracket

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”