Spot welds on outer muffler

deansixplusix
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Spot welds on outer muffler

Post by deansixplusix »

Hi folks just a quick question to anyone with an original 78 exhaust - just received a reproduction exhaust which appears really good however it has serious dints in the end of the mufflers where the inner baffle must be spot welded to the outer - right where they can be seen - I have no other original CBX's to check around here and wonder if maybe that's the way they were - a circle of small dints around the rear chrome part of the muffler - dont want to winge if that the way it's supposed to be - can anybody help - Cheers Dean

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Spot welds on outer muffler

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Dean.
On my stock '79 exhaust there are a row of tiny indentations at 8", 12" and 13" from the tail of the muffler.
They are on the inner half and not visible when mounted.

deansixplusix

Post by deansixplusix »

Hi Steve thanks for your reply - my welds are 1.5" 8" and 12" from the tail - yep looking down with the system from the top there maybe a slightly bigger gap in the welds (its not fitted yet) but they go right round and will definitely be visible standing next to the bike (one of the 8" would be right on the outside of the muffler) Are yours visible from next to the bike? Thanks for your help - I have been piecing a 4/78 real roughie together for a while (ex usa import) and finally getting there - it'll never be concours but hopefully a good clean rider - Cheers Dean

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sounds very different from mine, Dean.
In this lousy pic you can see the "dints" on my stock '79 pipes. Only on the back half and not visible at all when mounted.
Are you sure you have a stock exhaust?

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”