Sankei Reproduction 79 CBX exhaust

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Sankei Reproduction 79 CBX exhaust

Post by bigsixman »

Has anyone heard of the status of the Sankei repo exhaust for the 79 CBX ? I read in another post that NE Cycle has sold out and it is unsure if there will be more ordered and available for sale in the US. I would appreciate any info or updates on this style exhaust.
1979 red CBX
1979 silver CBX

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Sankei Reproduction 79 CBX exhaust

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Contact Northeast directly, bigsix.
I have been there a couple times and they are good guys. http://www.hondanuts.com/home.html

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I still see them on ebay ever so often.

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

I just received my new reproduced Sankei CBX exhaust system from NE Vintage Cycle and I am very pleased. I put them on today and they look excellent on my 79 CBX. I got them off ebay for $1,449 and free shipping. They do not have the Sankei stamping on them, but they do have the 422L and 422R stamped in them.
1979 red CBX
1979 silver CBX

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 6Pipes »

How do they sound compared to stock??

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

6Pipes: I have not fired it up since I put the new pipes on. I put av gas in my bikes for the winter and I have to get some more at the airport. I just had the tank painted so it is dry.
1979 red CBX
1979 silver CBX

6Pipes
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 6Pipes »

Please let us know how they sound when you fire her up this Spring! :auto-biker:

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

bigsixman wrote:6Pipes: I have not fired it up since I put the new pipes on. I put av gas in my bikes for the winter and I have to get some more at the airport. I just had the tank painted so it is dry.

I'm familiar with local AvGas. There used to be two grades available at Niagara Falls airbase. AvGas 85 and AvGas 135. The military used the AvGas 135 for KCs. I think they were KC135s, big prop cargo planes. Then they detuned those planes. Now all that's available is AvGas 85, which would detonate the top off your pistons before your got down to the corner. What can you get your hands on?

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Will, was the the av gas available to the public or did you have special access?
We used to buy the 100 octane from the Delta Sonic on the Blvd in the Falls. Don't know if that is still available.

bigsixman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bigsixman »

Will wrote:
bigsixman wrote:6Pipes: I have not fired it up since I put the new pipes on. I put av gas in my bikes for the winter and I have to get some more at the airport. I just had the tank painted so it is dry.

I'm familiar with local AvGas. There used to be two grades available at Niagara Falls airbase. AvGas 85 and AvGas 135. The military used the AvGas 135 for KCs. I think they were KC135s, big prop cargo planes. Then they detuned those planes. Now all that's available is AvGas 85, which would detonate the top off your pistons before your got down to the corner. What can you get your hands on?
We have 100 low lead at our airport. The price for av gas fluctuates between $5.30 / gal to $5.50 / gal. This av gas is blue in color, there used to be a higher octane available several years ago, but I never purchased it, so I am unaware of the color or octane.
1979 red CBX
1979 silver CBX

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

A minor point, and not really related to Sankei exhaust systems, but the KC135 is a jet engined airborne refueling aircraft, the forerunner of the Boeing 707.
SCH Rochester, MN

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

I believe JP4 was a mixture of AVGAS and Jet fuel where as JP5 was pure jet fuel.

Most small airports today have 100ll which is 100 octane low lead fuel. AvGas is gasoline and for piston engines and not jet aircraft with turbine powerplants. A 707 or KC135 would never use av gas and if it used a blend of both like JP4 it increases the hot section inspections on the combustor section of the powerplant so much that most most operators prohibit it.

We're talking mult million dollar engines here and cheap fuel blends are bad news. There used to be AvFuel 80/87 that was red but today it's been replaced by 100LL which is blue. The old 100 octane was green in color. - there is no ethanol in Av Fuel and it will last for several years in storage.
-
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

spencer wrote:A minor point, and not really related to Sankei exhaust systems, but the KC135 is a jet engined airborne refueling aircraft, the forerunner of the Boeing 707.

That only proves I know nothing about airplanes <grin>. Some sort of military cargo prop plane flies out out of Niagara Falls. Every once in a while they fly over the east end of Lake Erie on Sunday morning. Why there, why that time and day, I don't have clue. All I know is they run on 85 octane.

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

George R. Garrison #0857 wrote:I believe JP4 was a mixture of AVGAS and Jet fuel where as JP5 was pure jet fuel.

Most small airports today have 100ll which is 100 octane low lead fuel. AvGas is gasoline and for piston engines and not jet aircraft with turbine powerplants. A 707 or KC135 would never use av gas and if it used a blend of both like JP4 it increases the hot section inspections on the combustor section of the powerplant so much that most most operators prohibit it.

We're talking mult million dollar engines here and cheap fuel blends are bad news. There used to be AvFuel 80/87 that was red but today it's been replaced by 100LL which is blue. The old 100 octane was green in color. - there is no ethanol in Av Fuel and it will last for several years in storage.
-

Learning all the time. We used to run AvGas 135 in a race car. If I remember it was purple.

George R. Garrison #0857
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by George R. Garrison #0857 »

Actually 115/145 was purple. And very high lead content. Was used mainly in very large radial aircraft engines.

Lots of lead was to dampen the valve seats. With the development of nitrate valves and seat inserts today it is no longer needed as much.

Use of 115/145 in low compession engines will usually foul the spark plugs big time.

I never heard of 135 octane, but it would make senses that it's military 115/145 octane. The 100 is a lean setting and the 145 is a rich setting. Aircraft have mixture control and can be monitored with EGT or exhaust gas temp gages to prevent getting in to detonation ranges and reduce fuel consumption.

Originally all the av gas was listed with an octane range.

Basically jet aircraft operate with highly refined kerosene. Or as I call it high grade home heating oil.
I'm into motorcycles, wooden boats, airplanes, wood working and car restoration.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”