1980 Exhaust: OEM value

dhidaka1
New Member & Happy To Be Here

1980 Exhaust: OEM value

Post by dhidaka1 »

I have a set of 1980 OEM exhaust with about 100 miles on them that have been hanging in my basement since new. I realize here are aftermarket reproductions available but to a pureist they might be valuable. I was told they could be worth $3000. Is that so?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: 1980 Exhaust: OEM value

Post by NobleHops »

I don't know about 3K, but there are some guys that WILL pay for pristine parts, if that's what you've got, and the 80 is the rarest bike of all by the numbers. You should ask Louis, he does business with some guys that just want what they want. He'll know what it might fetch.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are about 5 years too late, or at least 5 years too early for anything close to the 3K range. 5 years ago, many sets such as yours sold for 3K, even more. Guys can't even get bites at 2K now, partly due to the replica sets available and mostly due to the world-wide economy. I'd hang onto them for a while, unless you must sell. Nils correctly indicates that the 469 pipes are the rarest.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I totally agree with Dave. I never understood, why exhausts, event though in exc. condition, in the past commanded prices in excess of $2,000. I put it in the category of "price pimping" along the lines of pushing all prices for CBX parts to obscene levels because of commercial interests.
Both Delkevic and Sankei have put this in the correct perspective by offering brand new replicas for around $1,500 a set.
I don't deny that someone who paid $25,000 for his CBX would also pay $3,000 for an "as new" exhaust and Louis probably has several customers like that.
But somebody with a grounded and halfway realistic view of the CBX as a classic bike would not.
I am going to put a 1980 CBX together and it does not have an original exhaust. While I would love to have a -469- system for it, I would not pay more than $1,800 tops for an absolutely mint set.
There are plenty of really good condition Prolink exhausts available. They are actually better performing exhausts as far as street riding is concerned and they can be had for $1,000 to $1,200.-

alicezx

Post by alicezx »

i might have a very nice 1982 set coming up for sale so i can get a 6-1 header again,thanks

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”