Exhaust nuts torque

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Exhaust nuts torque

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi
Can anybody please tell what is the correct torque value of the 12 exhaust nuts of the 79 Z.
I've looked in the manual and I've looked in the forum with no success.
Thanks in advance!
Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Exhaust nuts torque

Post by EMS »

Standard torque for 6mm bolt would apply: 8-10 Nm

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I wouldn't touch them with a torque wrench

You're compressing the exhaust gaskets when you tighten them - The correct amount is whatever it takes to seal the header pipe . . . . nothing more

Wiggle the header pipe as you snug them up and leave it there - If it leaks, loosen it a tad, wiggle it some more and tighten it just a little more than the first go around. Doing it this way will enable you to use and re-use your exhaust gaskets several times. I take my pipes off the bike several times per year . . . . sometimes just so I can do a thourough cleaning of the bike . . . . and the pipes. I've successfully re-used the same set of gaskets 5 or 6 times. When one fails to seal with a 'reasonable' amount of torque on the nuts, I flip the gasket over - If it still leaks, I replace that one gasket

I never have anywhere near the maximum torque on them for a 6 mm fastener

Don

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

I don't know what the torque is, because I'm not that good a mechanic. But, whether you use a torque value or do it by the feel method (yup, that's tight), check it after bringing it up to full heat. Things tend to stretch with heat. In fact don't tell anybody, but I like to tighten them a second time while they are still hot.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote:I wouldn't touch them with a torque wrench

You're compressing the exhaust gaskets when you tighten them - The correct amount is whatever it takes to seal the header pipe . . . . nothing more

Wiggle the header pipe as you snug them up and leave it there - If it leaks, loosen it a tad, wiggle it some more and tighten it just a little more than the first go around. Doing it this way will enable you to use and re-use your exhaust gaskets several times. I take my pipes off the bike several times per year . . . . sometimes just so I can do a thourough cleaning of the bike . . . . and the pipes. I've successfully re-used the same set of gaskets 5 or 6 times. When one fails to seal with a 'reasonable' amount of torque on the nuts, I flip the gasket over - If it still leaks, I replace that one gasket

I never have anywhere near the maximum torque on them for a 6 mm fastener

Don

Don, if that was the case, Honda would have made a recommendation in the service manual as to the process.
You will not reach the 8-10Nm while crushing the gasket. Once you approach the seat, the torque increases. I find it very difficult to "feel" the proper point where to stop torquing and I have seen a few studs pulled out of the cylinder heads. that's why I stick with the torque wrench and 8-10Nm

SanDogDewey
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SanDogDewey »

With the flanges on my Kerkers, they are are almost bottomed out when they start to tighten.
ICOA #6266
1977 CB750K
1980 CBX

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

So it seems "feel" is the name of the game. I tried it, and seemed to work for me.
Today I started my bike, with the exhaust on, seemingly with good sealing on all 6 cylinders.
Thanks!
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”