TIMS Help for Those With a Pipe Fetish

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: TIMS Help for Those With a Pipe Fetish

Post by EMS »

The stainless 6-1 is a Schuele exhaust. Wonder why he doesn't say that in his ad.
It is actually a 6-3-1 and is tuned especially for the CBX. It is made in Germany and Schuele used to make them regularly in the 80s and 90s ( The Egli CBXes had them)and when the demand dried up due to less CBXes on the road, he stopped making them and concentrated on contemporary 4-1s. At one time, he had 2 or 3 left and I got one. I paid around 1200 Euros. Mine had a muffler that was a little lower, not the streetfighter version shown on the bike in the picture.
They are nice, however, there were two things I didn't like a) they are tuned for a bike used like you do in Germany, high rpm horsepower and mid to high range torque. They don't do nice with low shift points as we usually prefer in the U.S. and roll-on performance from low rpm. b) as all other - into 1 exhausts, for my personal taste, they look unbalanced on a CBX .
I sold mine, run maybe 50 miles, for some $ 2,000.-and they should now be on a bike in Sacramento, CA. Not long ago, I think Schuele made another batch, because someone in California may have comitted to a minimum buy and tried to sell them here in the U.S. No idea if it was sucessful. Well made exhaust, but unless you desperately need a conversation piece, not worth the money.

Cammer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cammer »

I've had all kinds of pipes on my CBXes and the one that stands out as the best performer were my old MAXXIS 6-1-2. Plenty of power and great sounding. The second best was made by Bassani, 6-1s. JMHO Charlie #1804

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

EMS wrote:The stainless 6-1 is a Schuele exhaust. It is actually a 6-3-1 and is tuned especially for the CBX
Yup - About as polar opposite from 'Euro-Trash' as one could get . . . . don't think anything else ever made can come close to it for top end horsepower . . . . and it's 100% stainless steel - My kinda 'trash' for sure ;)

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Don wrote:[ Yup - About as polar opposite from 'Euro-Trash' as one could get . . . . don't think anything else ever made can come close to it for top end horsepower . . . . and it's 100% stainless steel - My kinda 'trash' for sure ;)

Don
:? :? Mmmmmmh...in that case, Don, you better start shifting a little later, like above 8,000 rpm from first into second :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

The shift outta first is at more like 9000 Mike . . . . but that still leaves me well short of 8,000 going into second ;)

I've always admired the quality and tuning of the 6-3-1 Schuele setup . . . . but I don't think I could live with the loss of groundclearance they have with all those pipes crossing under the engine, nor would I be willing to give up my centerstand - Still, you gotta admire anything as well made as they are

Don

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”