How to control rust on the inside of headers and mufflers?

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

How to control rust on the inside of headers and mufflers?

Post by Terry »

I recently bought a used set of Prolink pipes that on the outside look very nice but upon close examination I found that there is rust on the inside of the headers and inside the rear baffle. Any ideas how to control the advent of more rust? I've thought of finding a bristle brush to try and scrape some of it out but what then? Any treatments available for this condition?
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How to control rust on the inside of headers and muffler

Post by EMS »

Terry: As far as the headers are concerned, you can remove the rust with any available rust remover, like Rustol, Rusteco or even Molasses (there is a thread somewhere here about that). I really don't think you have to worry about rust coming back if the exhaust is installed on a bike, but if you think about storing your original one, I would recommend a coating.
I used one for my R100S that is supposed to prevent blueing. The "Airhead" BMWs are notorious for that and most "purists" think they have to be blue and it is part of the character of the bike. I am not a purist and hate blue headers. It did a great job so far. If memeory serves me well, it is a "Kreem" product - but not the stuff you use in tanks.

I you don't want to go through the trouble of a coating, get a spray can (or two) of engine fogging oil and spray the parts liberally. Repeat every year or so. 8)

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: How to control rust on the inside of headers and muffler

Post by Terry »

Hadn't thought of fogging oil for this application, thanks. The rust in the headers is only down a couple inches from the openings but the end baffles are rusty back inside for 6-8". I suppose I could find a scrub brush and get rid of a lot of it but was worried that rusting from inside might mean curtains for these pipes even if mounted (and heated) right away. Hadn't planned on installing them right away though.

Oh FYI, I found a chromer here in town that for $500-$600 will rechrome a full set of used pipes (after a radiator shop boils them first) so there is no contamination in their 'baths'. Not bad if the pipes are otherwise in good shape. My OEMS on the 79 have 3-4 SS patches on them already where the cans meet the mid pipe and the chrome is pretty much non existent on most of the headers for 6" or so from the ends. Maybe I'll just paint them...black. white or silver? Suppose the paint will last? Wonder what kind of prep I should do to the headers before attempting to paint them? Never painted over chrome before.

Oh, here's a response to the same question from another forum. Thought you'd get a kick out of it.

"Rust is a pretty good rust preventative. A heavy coating prevents further oxidation (rust). Removing rust just promotes addiitional rusting." :lol: :lol: :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”