Pipes

dannyhirji
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Pipes

Post by dannyhirji »

Anyway to make the stock pipes louder?
Are the Kerker the 6 /2 the loudest / best sounding pipes out there or are there other brands that I should look into?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Pipes

Post by EMS »

Loud pipes have a couple of significant disadvantages. Most important one is, that they are annoying to non-motorcyclists and contribute to anti-motorcycle opinions in the public.
One other important one is that they require a retune and rejetting of the carbs. A louder pipe, in most cases, has less interior restriction thus requiring a different intake mixture.
The Supertrapps are the loudest ones I know, if used with more than six tuning discs or an open end-plate.

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

I know that a DG 6-1 (sans baffle) will shred your eardrums for sure, but I don't know how it compares to the other pipes as far as outright loudness.

Fired it up last night for the first time with the baffle in it and it sounded great (I'd thank the member I got it from, Bob maybe?, but I can't remember right now).

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

oilheadron wrote: Fired it up last night for the first time with the baffle in it and it sounded great (I'd thank the member I got it from, Bob maybe?, but I can't remember right now).

:mrgreen:

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

oilheadron

Post by oilheadron »

Yep! Thanks again.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Kerkers aren't that loud and the 6 into 2's don't require rejetting. The Pipemasers 6 into 6's are a good bit louder and they don't require rejetting either. Modifications to the intake side (removing the airbox and going with something else) seems to have more effect on jetting than changes to the exhaust side of things

I agree that for me anyway, the stock pipes are just too darned quiet, though they do allow you to hear every single moving part within the engine. I had Kerker 6 into 2's on my first CBX and much preferred the sound (and the look) to the stock pipes. I have the Pipemasters on my current bike and prefer both the sound and the look to anything else times 3X. Spendy, true . . . . but they look and sound like nothing else

Don

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by zxbob »

I have the Kerker 6 into 2 on my bike and I agree that while the stickers
are too quiet, the Kerker produces a very nice sound and that's what sold
me on the CBX !

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”