Mac exhaust

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Mac exhaust

Post by rippper43 »

Any one know much about these 6 into 2 pipes. I only know that years ago Mac made only so so pipes. Not bad but not great I like the look and the price for now.
http://www.nichecycle.com/ProductDesc.a ... aust-syste
White is right...

zxbob
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Mac exhaust

Post by zxbob »

Well I cant tell how they work - and many say there is little or no gain by putting a exhaust on a CBX . . . . so . . . .

Anyway ~ I just had a 6 into 2 Kerker re-chromed he in LA. It just happened these guys do the plating for the Mac
exhausts. The owner of the plating company gave me the .25 cent tour stopping at the area where they were doing
a run of the Mac pipes (these were 4 into 1) I looked at them and the construction looked good, clean welds ect.

I dont know how they sound but, to me, anything on a CBX would so better than stock. (to me)

The sound of the CBX is what prompted me to buy / build one . . . . let people hear em !

Bob
Good parts aint cheap ~ and cheap parts aint good !

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Mac makes an economy exhaust. There are a lot better made exhausts out there, but they are also much more expensive. If you don't have a decent exhaust on the CBX, a new Mac is an improvement. As far as performance is concerned, the 6-1s usually have the worst reputation and I think a Mac 6-2 can not be worse. Besides, chasing horsepower on a CBX is something that doesn't really make sense. What for? Do you want to be faster than your friend's CBX? Or do you want to be faster than the guy with a CB600F? In that case, you may be better off spending your money on a used CB900RR. 8)

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rippper43 »

zxbob wrote:Well I cant tell how they work - and many say there is little or no gain by putting a exhaust on a CBX . . . . so . . . .

Anyway ~ I just had a 6 into 2 Kerker re-chromed he in LA. It just happened these guys do the plating for the Mac
exhausts. The owner of the plating company gave me the .25 cent tour stopping at the area where they were doing
a run of the Mac pipes (these were 4 into 1) I looked at them and the construction looked good, clean welds ect.

I dont know how they sound but, to me, anything on a CBX would so better than stock. (to me)

The sound of the CBX is what prompted me to buy / build one . . . . let people hear em !

Bob

Hiya Bob. That's what I wanted to know, if the constuction was good. I would leave my stockers on but they are a bit haggered, not bad but not great. I want to hear my pipes also, but I also do not want to be loud just for the sake of being loud. they have to sound good. I like big loud pipes here is a picture of my HD pipes. 6" Boom Cans:twisted:
White is right...

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rippper43 »

EMS wrote:Mac makes an economy exhaust. There are a lot better made exhausts out there, but they are also much more expensive. If you don't have a decent exhaust on the CBX, a new Mac is an improvement. As far as performance is concerned, the 6-1s usually have the worst reputation and I think a Mac 6-2 can not be worse. Besides, chasing horsepower on a CBX is something that doesn't really make sense. What for? Do you want to be faster than your friend's CBX? Or do you want to be faster than the guy with a CB600F? In that case, you may be better off spending your money on a used CB900RR. 8)

That's right. I like the look of the 6 into 1 untill you get to the left side of the bike and it is missing the other pipe. Not really interested in Big performance out my CBX I just want it run/look good and be relieable. Later I may go with a reproduction stock exhaust but for now I think these Mac's will fit the bill. Thanks for your input.

PS Plus I like my centerstand.
White is right...

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Will »

I ran Mac's for years while the stock pipes hung in the garage rafters. They are made OK, an easy fit, and don't require re-tuning.
But, they will rust. I finally got stainless steel exhaust and threw out the Mac's.

rippper43
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rippper43 »

Will wrote:I ran Mac's for years while the stock pipes hung in the garage rafters. They are made OK, an easy fit, and don't require re-tuning.
But, they will rust. I finally got stainless steel exhaust and threw out the Mac's.

That's what I thought. I remember rust has long been an issue with Mac but they'll work for now. Thanks
White is right...

sbinplano
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by sbinplano »

I have an '82 with 6 into 2 Mac headers. You can hear them at idle by going to youtube and entering cbx 014.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

sbinplano wrote:I have an '82 with 6 into 2 Mac headers. You can hear them at idle by going to youtube and entering cbx 014.

Hey SB, welcome to the site!

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

sbinplano

Post by sbinplano »

Thanks Nils!

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”