Delkevic pictorial

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Delkevic pictorial

Post by NobleHops »

OK, I finally got around to unpacking and installing my new Delkevic exhaust.

Here's how it goes:

Very well packed, in two boxes, was ordered from Colorado, but drop-shipped from China:

Weird shortcuts in polishing, but it is behind a heat shield so no biggie, but odd to me:

End cap:

Weird little spot-weld mark:

Doofy guy installing them:

The good:

The kit is almost complete, new collets, clamps for the midpipes, header clamps to the head.

It's really well packed, arrived in perfect condition, although the boxes were well marked-up.

The not-as-good:

No nuts were included, glad I had some in my Stainless Cycle kit
No crush gaskets, glad I had a set.
No gaskets for the 2&5 cylinder header-muffler joints, so I scrambled around today and found a set locally
The castings for the new header clamps (the crown-shaped things that the studs pass through) are kind-of porous and cheap looking, and I wish I'd just used my stockers.

The not very good:

The chrome is decent to good, but not very good.
There are surface imperfections, teeny dings, stuff like that, and being chrome, they are easy to spot.
Not having installed an exhaust system in a while, a few simple tips or instructions would have made the job easier. I figured it out quickly enough, but just a few clues would have helped.
The price I paid. This has come down, but relative to what I have heard about the Sankei, not enough. These should be a couple hundred less than the Sankei, although that is an opinion founded upon second hand evaluations of those.

My conclusion: I wish I had known the Sankei were coming, and from what I have seen of them, I would have preferred them. Now, all kvetching aside, they look friggin' excellent from 10 feet away, as Jan said they would, and the bike looks dynamite with them on.

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

TerryL
ICOA Travel Director
ICOA Travel Director

Post by TerryL »

There would be no way to be sure but I wonder if those are from their first manufacturing run. I recall reading their first sets had similar 'mini faults' as you mentioned but later versions were better. Also, I wouldn't expect nuts for the collars as they are part of the engine, mating up to the exhaust studs, or crush washers but I would have expected gaskets for the two single mid pipes and everything else that goes with a new set of pipes. If you're careful clicking the side stand up and down the 'thin' chrome should last pretty well and the double walled headers should retain they're sparkle too. I really need a set for the 79. I polished up my Kerker 6/1 the other day. Maybe I'll put it on for awhile while I decide.
Ride em if ya got em....

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Thanks for the excellent report, Nils.
..."they look friggin' excellent from ten feet away"...reminds me of an old girlfriend.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

A couple observations on your comments, the silver paint on the weld is a common practice, the OEM's are that way too, not sure but maybe the pipes are chromed in two pieces and welded together later.

The spot weld on the silencer is so you can grind this away down the road, pull it out and repack it, then spot weld it back in, also the reason why its painted black and not chromed.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Excellent feedback.... 8)
ICOA # 656

big6fanatic
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Delkevic pictorial

Post by big6fanatic »

Thanks Nils for sharing your experience with the Delkevik Exhaust.

I will need a new set for my '81 and was looking around for someone who own a set of Delkevic.

I will definitively consider the Sankei in my choice

M

TerryL
ICOA Travel Director
ICOA Travel Director

Post by TerryL »

In this ad nothing is listed as to who the manufacurer is. I emailed the seller and even then he didn't say 'Sankei" but said that the company is the same company that originally made them in Japan. Now, why wouldn't he list the company in the ad (and) in his response to my question? Wouldn't the name Sankei sell better than not listing who made them? I don't get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
Ride em if ya got em....

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

The manufacturer is Sankei. I bought a set from him. He is not really interested in CBXs. He deals only in small Hondas. He only decided to sell these exhaust systems after the supplier, who also supplies lots of other parts for him, suggested that he put a set on ebay and see if they would sell. I'm not sure if there is another one, but I think he is the only US supplier of these exhaust systems. I don't think he understands the significance of what he is selling.
SCH Rochester, MN

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”