Exhaust Question

koffey25
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Exhaust Question

Post by koffey25 »

I am new to the cbx crowd due to my recent aquistion of a 79 CBX. I am looking to do some mods on my CBX including exhaust. I want to keep the stock exhaust system from the headers down the the collectors. I was wondering if there is some type of can/pipe that would fit the cbx with minimal modifications to the stock exhaust. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
koffey

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Welcome!

I haven't done any exhaust modifications and am no expert, but the CBX exhausts are one, long complete tube. Any type of can replacement means cutting up the stocker.

Have fun!

Steve

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

If they're in good shape, don't touch them, seal them in oil & fit an aftermarket set....
ICOA # 656

koffey25

Post by koffey25 »

Thinking about getting a set of Delkevic Mufflers for a CBR 1100....can get them off of ebay for $300 for the set brand new...there is guna need to be some fabrication done with the collector pipe but they do come with a link pipe....has anyone had experience with this brand? What do you think?

Thanks
Koffey

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Don't try to re-invent the wheel koffey25, plenty of variations more suitable out there now.... :wink:
ICOA # 656

80 cbx dude #6216
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by 80 cbx dude #6216 »

I agree with alimey4u2(Larry).If your original exhaust is ok buy another and stash the original for another day.I've got my Original exhaust haning in my basement where is warm and dry.If I ever went back to stock I still have it.-Mike

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I'm guessing (bad to do, I know) that his stock cans are rusty and he's looking for an inexpensive, yet good looking replacement, hence his desire to buy the $300 Delkevics and weld those mufflers to his stock CBX headers . . . . right?

These sorts of things are done all the time . . . . getting a good looking set of pipes installed for $400 or less isn't really 'reinventing the wheel' when you consider what it might cost him to do it by buying a set of CBX Delkevics . . . . or Pipemasters . . . . or a good used set of Kerkers or SuperTrapps

I say Go For It . . . . and post the befors and after pics here

Don

koffey25

Post by koffey25 »

Don you hit the nail on the head. The pipes are rusting out right behind the collector. Some I'm looking to update the look with out having to pay a fortune for a set of replacement pipes. As well I like the look of new mufflers compared to the originals. I will post pictures when I get them on it may not me for a month or so have to come up with the funds but I am going to go with the delkevics. Thanks for your help.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

koffey25 wrote:Don you hit the nail on the head. The pipes are rusting out right behind the collector. Some I'm looking to update the look with out having to pay a fortune for a set of replacement pipes. As well I like the look of new mufflers compared to the originals. I will post pictures when I get them on it may not me for a month or so have to come up with the funds but I am going to go with the delkevics. Thanks for your help.
Under those circumstance I too say...
I say Go For It . . . . and post the befors and after pics here
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Are these the Delkevic mufflers you are using, koffey?
http://www.delkevic.co.uk/?section=shop ... cers_hl3s5

koffey25

Post by koffey25 »

Here is the link to the ones I am thinking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delkevic ... ccessories

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I think those would look nice on a CBX

Before you buy them though, cut up your stock pipes and see if the metal where the 3 headpipes come together is in good enough shape for a welder to make the junction with the new pipe . . . . CBX pipes tend to rust in that area - Take them to a welder and get his opinion, otherwise you may have a nice new set of mufflers and not be able to get them assembled correctly

Good luck, and remember . . . . before and after pictures! - Someone else might want to do the same thing

Don

koffey25

Post by koffey25 »

Thanks for all your inputs... On the other hand I was also thinking of building some custom glass packs for it instead of buying mufflers...i would keep the stock head pipes just mock something up from the collector back...is this a bad idea? I do have some mechanical sense and a welder to make them but I do know know if the lack of back pressure would require everything to be retuned/rejetted? I don't have much knowledge in the tuning department and thus don't want to mess up my bike...if any of you have any input on this subject it would be much appreciated

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I suppose if you emulate the factory characteristics no rejetting will be required. That will be tough to do with a glass pack unless you restrict flow in some way....
ICOA # 656

mekon

Re: Exhaust Question

Post by mekon »

hi,,,check out www.zorstec.com speak to andy he will sort you out
regards the mekon

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”