6 into 1: what brand is this thing? worth saving?

Sleepless
New Member & Happy To Be Here

6 into 1: what brand is this thing? worth saving?

Post by Sleepless »

Here's the deal: I'm new to this site. Don't have a CBX; just drool over them. I thought I'd "challenge myself" by procuring one part, and buy or assemble my way into a bike from there. Hearing the plan and seeing the slobber, Wifey thinks I'm nuts. Regardless, this is what I have so far (since the only "publicly available place" I can quickly think of to post pics is my local Craigslist, I posted there. Will be valid until ~ 2/10/2010):

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/wan/1545991536.html
(update 1/12/10: Jeff Bennetts has kindly posted the Craigslist pics of this relic to this thread, right after JT's pipe and bike pics on page 2)

Anyone know the mfg of the pipe (there are no markings, p/ns, etc, although I haven't disassembled the baffle yet)?
worth repairing(see 2 dents on bottom)?
repair recommendations (preferred coating, approx cost, etc)?
Last edited by Sleepless on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Man Sleepless that is one rough looking exhaust. I have fixed flat spots like that before and it is very labor intensive and not always successful. It was worth a try on the exhaust I did but only because it was a rare Bassani and was going on a special CBX.

I'd look for something better to work with.

jeff

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Sleepless.
I wish i could help with the brand of the pipe...but i agree with Jeff on this one. Pulling dents, fabbing up a baffle and coating the one you have might not be worth it.
I got a Kerker 6-2 with a couple warts for $185.00 off of E-bay recently.
And tell your wife the idea of starting with a part is not that loony. I bought a Suzuki Katana t-shirt a year before i bought the bike. Unfortunately i still have the t-shirt and sold the bike.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Welcome to the ICOA forum, sleepless! We will be more than happy to convince you to get into a CBX project. And there will be lots of help available if you finally decide to do so. Maybe someone even has a good starter project that they can sell you.
As far as the exhaust is concerned, I agree with the posters before... :roll: it is not really worth the effort. And I dare to guess that it is a home-made 6-1. The collector looks rather crude to me. You can pick up a decent used aftermarket exhaust for less than $400.-.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Welcome to the site sleepless... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Could be stock headers with the rest being home made with custom heavy hand hammered touches.
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

my my, this is not encouraging so far. The CBX Dream is in tatters this eve! :newb:
Still, thanks for the feedback though, and keep in coming. I'll need a plan B: maybe I can cap off the outer-most pipes and sell it to some Yammy XS-11 guy. Or I'd be willing to trade this apparently Custom-made, Pitina-ladened thingy for a Bassani or Pipemaster. It doesn't take long on this site to feel the luv for those systems.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

One thing you can be pretty sure of about that home made exhaust . . . . it's a little lacking in the ground clearance department ;)

Not a good place to start . . . . sure hope you didn't pay much for it . . . . if anything

Everybody out there would love to be able to trade something for a nice used set of Pipemasters - In actuality though, that 'something' always seems to turn out to be cash money. Thanks to the tanking dollar, good used sets are now selling for as much or more as what they originally sold for new

I'm very in tune with you on the wife thinking you're looney - The ONLY thing that saves me (partially) is that she participates . . . . we ride together a good bit and she usually goes to most of the rallies and seems to have a good time - At least there she finds out I'm not the only looney one with a CBX ;)

Welcome to the forum - You're happily among the loonies here for sure :D

Don

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Sleepless wrote:my my, this is not encouraging so far. The CBX Dream is in tatters this eve! :newb:
Still, thanks for the feedback though, and keep in coming. I'll need a plan B: maybe I can cap off the outer-most pipes and sell it to some Yammy XS-11 guy. Or I'd be willing to trade this apparently Custom-made, Pitina-ladened thingy for a Bassani or Pipemaster. It doesn't take long on this site to feel the luv for those systems.
How about capping the left 3 and selling to the Trident crowd.
The muffler might not belong to the pipe but i have seen the headers before. I actually had a set but the memory ain.t what it used to be.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Just curious: What makes you take that unusual road to start with an exhaust and try to build a bike around it?? :? :? Most people think of the exhaust as one of the last itmes and add whatever fits the project best. If it is a 90+ point restoration, they go for an original, if it is a show-off street bike, they may go with a 6-6 and if it is just a great rider, they go with any decent aftermarket system that doesn't break the bank.
Do you seriously want to build/restore a CBX or do you just want to find a use for a leftover exhaust :?: :?

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

EMS wrote:Just curious: What makes you take that unusual road to start with an exhaust and try to build a bike around it??
That's kinda how I started. I remembered the sweet sound of a CBX wailing through an aftermarket exhaust. I knew if I could find the right pipes, it'd kick me into a CBX project. Getting the sound-making pipe is all part of the dream. It's just a way to start with a key element to get the enthusiasm going and build into the full scope.

Works for some (some of the time), not for all.

Prolly more complex human psychology than I can understand.
Last edited by barryadam on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

Oh EMS, sounds like you been talking to Wifey! She asked the same, valid question (and others. Then the plates started flying and I bee-lined for the garage) :flame:

Banging around on Youtube, I found some vids that featured CBX sounds. That started it. I shared the one below with my wife and daughters. They asked politely if I wouldn't mind putting in earphones. They don't get it - but how can you NOT start a "quest for sound" after hearing this Pipemaster / Kerker / OEM / Bassani ear feast !?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgyGJh_3PDY

I know that if I want adolescent speed, heavly-chromed mass, undrivable but expensive sculpture, etc there are many other, better choices. But my preferences are Classic 80's, and Sound.
CBX with a pipe

(I have an 85 Interceptor with 5600 miles that is one of the finest you'll see anywhere - as soon as I fix the hole in the gas tank and synch the carbs)

Bike objective: well cared-for CBX for sunday driving. My tastes aren't refined enough to be selective, and there's not alot available to allow me to be picky. I'm not in a rush.
~Sleepless

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Sleepless - You are certifiably diagnosed as having been CBXinfected. Join the club (literally) :shock: There are plenty of CBX's available for your riding pleasure. Just take your time, search around the usual venues (Craigslist, Cycletrader, Ebay....) and you are sure to find one that doesn't need extraordinary efforts (like your exhaust looked like it did) to be enjoyed.

Plenty of people here to help you along. Just ask and it will be answered.

Good luck and welcome aboard!!!

Steve

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sleepless wrote:Oh EMS, sounds like you been talking to Wifey! ~Sleepless
:D :D I have no intentions to talk you out of it, au contraire, I was just thinking there may be an easier way to get to a CBX than starting with the exhaust and then trying to find matching parts......then again..maybe not.
Last edited by EMS on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Sleepless,
The exhausts in the ad looks to me to be a very early D&D exhaust. Will try to get a pic in a day or so put up so you can see.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”