6 into 1: what brand is this thing? worth saving?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Hit the wrong button. Post deleted.
Last edited by EMS on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

Sleepless

Steve didn't mention it, but that's his video - Filmed near St Clairsville Ohio last summer just before the 4 of us went to Vintage Days at mid-Ohio

Me on the '79 with the Pipemasters, Mike on the '80 with the Bassani 6 into 1, Dan on the naked '81 with the Kerker 6 into 1 and Steve on the '82 with the stock pipes - Something there for everybody to drool over ;)

Filmed in Ohio with bikes and bikers from Florida, Mississippi, New York and Pennsylvania - When you get your CBX, you're gonna have lots more fun than just Sunday rides . . . . assuming we can talk you into joining us at some of our rallies - Lucky for you, most of them seem to be in Virginia and West Virginia, so you won't have very far to go . . . . unlike some of us. Once we get you to just one of these get-togethers, you'll be hooked for LIFE. We ride on some outstanding mountain roads and the restaurant hopping afterward is really special too

Keep looking - Your 'right bike' at the right price is out there somewhere . . . . and the guys here will all help you to get it fixed up and running right

Don

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

D&D 6 into 1 Exhaust. Which is what I think is in the pic on the first post.

This pic was taken in early 1980 at Texas World Speedway. Dave Rash (of D&D) was the tuner for this bike, he also tuned for Paul HOGMAN Stephenson who campainged a mean SOHC CB750. Anyway the CBX brought everyone out of the garages and to pit lane as he came off the banking and down the long straight. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, really wicked sound. I think the exhaust has a different end cap in this pic than what I have on my exhausts above.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Well done, jt.
Looks like the same muffler, just missing the end cap of the baffle.
Yours looks new, have you had it on a bike recently?

Sleepless
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Sleepless »

many thanks JT ! Great visual memory and race history recall ! :thumupp:

the head pipe bends and flanges, and the collector appear identical (same single weld seam on the left side of the collector). In your 1st pic, it looks like there may be some stamping / logo on the top of the collector - if so, mine is missing that.
On the baffle, the foot peg mount tab is a little bigger and has the corners notched on mine, a minor difference. As you note, the rear cone of your's is absent on mine, and I don't see how there ever was one (no screw holes). Finally, I have the bolt that enters the pipe from the bottom, and appears as if it is intended to hold the baffle in, but the baffle doesn't seem to rotate once its removed. Where's my penetrating oil...

My sense is that this thing IS a D&D 6 into 1, but 1 or 2 engineering changes prior to the one you presented. I really like the upswept look as it sits on the race bike. Again, thanks for your help and great pics.

Now when you say....

"Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, really wicked sound"

.....I get all goose-bumpy in anticipation of the sound - tapping your auditory recall, do you think it would be streetable?

BTW, I'll still consider trades from the pipemaster / bassani folks, but now you'll have to be nice to me. This kinda history and patina don't come cheap, y'know! XS11 & Trident Triple guys, I withdraw those offers...

I look forward to making YouTube vids someday with Don / Mike / Dan / Steve. The Dream lives ( at least until I start getting the repair/coating quotes )!

Update: staring further at JT's pic of the race bike with Dave Rash's pipe, mine has the identical capless end. Now I HAVE to get this thing mounted !
~Sleepless
Last edited by Sleepless on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

The local Honda dealer has an early D&D pipe. He's had it on several CBXs over the years. It's LOUD, but has a different end cap than JT has in his pics. It's much shorter and the opening is huge.

Keith King, had a D&D with NO baffle on his '79 too. I rode with him at Daytona one year. Made my ear drums itch.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Sleepless

Post by Sleepless »

JT - how did you get your pics to load directly to the forum? I thought I read that the capability didn't exist when I was looks at the site FAQs. I'll upload my Craigslist stuff to this thread for posterity, showing the pipe differences.

Update: never mind... I found the info in an Announcements post
~Sleepless

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

steve murdoch icoa #5322 wrote:Well done, jt.
Looks like the same muffler, just missing the end cap of the baffle.
Yours looks new, have you had it on a bike recently?
Steve, No I bought it and put away about 4 years ago. Hope to put it on a X hopefully this year if everything goes good. It is in very nice shape bought off Ebay for a good ( to me) price. The seller bought it and installed it drove it for a bit then parked the bike in the basement for nearly 20 years, then wanted to go back stock.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”