Fitting 1981 exhaust system onto a 1979

ICOA #5762
ICOA Membership Director
ICOA Membership Director

Fitting 1981 exhaust system onto a 1979

Post by ICOA #5762 »

Hi everybody:

I have a complete "school bike" exhaust system and want to install it on my 1979. Although there is no article in the technical section here, I do believe the center stand must be removed. I have no desire to lose the center stand and my question is - has anyone done this and retained the center stand? Thanks to all in advance.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have not done this either, but although the center stand is different, I don't think it needs to be removed. You may have to provide a different stop for the stand as it may touch the exhaust in a different spot.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

May there be a problem with the crossover/balance pipe Mike... ??
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I don't think it is....although can't say for sure. I think it crosses ahead of the stand.

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

I seem to remember that the '80 semi-custom that Dave McMunn brought to Vintage Daze had a late model exhaust. And I'm sure it had a centerstand.

Perhaps he'll check in soon.....
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The exhaust fits perfectly - the crossover is no problem. You just have to fabricate a little 'L' bracket to extend the centerstand stopper rearward a couple of inches. It's no big deal. Also, the dimple in the left pipe isn't where the centerstand foot is when retracted, but it isn't close anyway and you'd never notice.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

See, you can't get away with anything here :roll: As soon as you'd say something stupid, these lurkers come right out of the woodwork and set you straight :D :D :D

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

EMS wrote:See, you can't get away with anything here :roll: As soon as you'd say something stupid, these lurkers come right out of the woodwork and set you straight :D :D :D

That was funny.... :lol: :lol:
ICOA # 656

ICOA #5762
ICOA Membership Director
ICOA Membership Director

Post by ICOA #5762 »

Thanks Mike, Larry, Dave and Rick. 'Twas exactly what I needed to hear. Gonna take off the DG and put on the 81 system :shock: and, since it is the wintertime here in KS, I will also install a repainted (by Dick Gunderson) CGR tank that I purchased from Jan R 4-5 years ago. Probably won't be riding this one much next year :( :( , but there are others available :D :D . I really appreciate the responses.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”