ProLink Exhaust Installation

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

ProLink Exhaust Installation

Post by SteveG »

Hello -

I took the exhaust off to do some other things, and am getting ready to put it back on. The manual is kind of vague (remove the exhaust system, installation is essentially the reverse of removal).

I want to try to avoid unwanted dings and scratches putting it back on.

Any tips on reinstalling would be appreciated. Do you hang the left side headers in first, then the muffler hanger, or the other way? Do the right side first? Connect the crossover tube, then hang the headers and then the mufflers? Ouch :( This makes my head hurt.

TIA, Steve

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

the easy way is to get two people to help. As the pipes go up under the bike, they have to go together at the crossover. One person on each side and the third person to keep the flanges from getting hung. I've done it by myself using tie down straps (or rope) to support the pipes and it's a real pain.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Lay an old blanket (I use furniture pads) underneath anywhere they could fall (both sides). This will prevent any scratches and dents if they get out of your hands or if you just want to set them down for a bit. Two people is the best way like George says. Unless my kids come over I'm alone as well. Very hard by yourself.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

and Steve, take your time. I just looked at the extended weather forecast for Watertown (out of curiosity) to see if it was still as nice a place as I remember in the 70's when I'd go there with the 101st Abn Div for training and it still is. Is your garage heated?
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

SteveG
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by SteveG »

Hi and thanks -

It was a big enough pain to take it off by myself, and that was with gravity helping!

I've been mulling it over since then how to get it back on.

My everlovin' is not very receptive to my suggestions on how to help when we can't even get up / down - left / right - more / less clear between us :D

Terry - I will have my entire rag collection spread around when we get that far. Might even add some items that will become rags when done.

George - Those temps are fine. It is simply the salt on the roads that I don't want to deal with. It destroys everything.

Steve

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The crossover has a seal that needs to sit in place. Watch for it. It tends to get lost. A real pain-in-the-neck job! :roll:

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”