Exhaust & Fuel cosumption... are they someway related?

BASTOK
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Exhaust & Fuel cosumption... are they someway related?

Post by BASTOK »

That's my boubt.

Changing the stock exhaust system with another (more or less restrictive), could affect the fuel consumption of the bike??

Rgds. George

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

In general terms, changing the exhaust will have an effect on gas exchange in the engine and tuning status of the bike, which will have an effect on performance, which will change fuel consumption.

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by silversurfer1050 »

It's my understanding that the jetting and other items can be adjusted to improve gas milage.

When I switched mine however I could't afford the extra work. Talk to a professional if you do not know about this ask for their experience and opinion. Just leaning it out could cause things to burn up.

BASTOK

Post by BASTOK »

When I bought the bike I changed exhausts inmediately, because the stock ones where broken and "empty".

But then I'm worried if the new are affecting gas mileage (pipes are STOCK, I only change mufflers (2,5 inches inner tube, 5 inches exterior tube and glass wool between).

Is there any known way of verifying that you need to do rejetting, some technical or measurment to be done??

I will syncr my carbs next week and I want to be sure exhaust system will not be touched after that in order to prevent alter the sync.

Rds all! George

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Bastok, Don't forget to check your valve clearances first, else you "may" be wasting your time...
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

BASTOK wrote:

Is there any known way of verifying that you need to do rejetting, some technical or measurment to be done??

Rds all! George
An exhaust gas analyser would be the thing to use. It can determine whether you run overly rich or lean. A run on the dynamometer will finally tell you if you are getting otpimum performance.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”