exhaust measurement

jamese
New Member & Happy To Be Here

exhaust measurement

Post by jamese »

1980 cbx with exhaust pipes that do not look symetrical from behind the bike.these pipes have HM422 stamped on them.i am guessing that the bike has been laid over on its side and the left pipe is pushed in a little.approximately what should the distance be from the center of the tire to the center of the pipes be? or center to center of pipes overall? thanks

went for my first cbx ride ever last night.what a rush.no front brakes yet so it was limited in distance but after several years of storage i think this cbx liked being out for a stretch.next weekend i hope to have it ready for a better test ride.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Enjoy jamese but promise me to put the front brake on the top of your list of repairs.... :wink:
ICOA # 656

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I believe the 422s are from a 79. On my 79 measuring from the end of the axle bolt, its right at one inch to the edge of the can on both sides. Its ten inches from the center of my tire to the center of the exhaust (hole) in the end baffles, also on each side. Nice to know mine are aligned! 8)
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

While the -422- 1979 pipes look pretty much the same as the -469- 1980s, they are not ideal for a 1980 bike. They are more restrictive. The 1980 pipes were modified to go with the 1980 cams and carbs and are more open than the 79s. Putting a set of 1979 pipes on a 1980 will probably choke the motor even more. I know, I would be perfectly fine with it, if this was my only option, but I know there are many guys out there who hunt the last 2 hp out of a CBX to make it run with the modern 600s, so I thought I point that out :roll:

jamese

Post by jamese »

EMS wrote:While the -422- 1979 pipes look pretty much the same as the -469- 1980s, they are not ideal for a 1980 bike. They are more restrictive. The 1980 pipes were modified to go with the 1980 cams and carbs and are more open than the 79s. Putting a set of 1979 pipes on a 1980 will probably choke the motor even more. I know, I would be perfectly fine with it, if this was my only option, but I know there are many guys out there who hunt the last 2 hp out of a CBX to make it run with the modern 600s, so I thought I point that out :roll:

thanks for the heads up on some extra HP.i am not sure how soon i will need it, the skin on my face was already doing some funky stuff that i did not know skin could do and i have a crease down the center of my new seat that i didn't notice before either.
the main thing i could use is pointers on how to remember to look down at the speedometer.this is all new to me ,you experienced riders must have some tricks.this is white knuckle stuff.
just kidding ,thanks for all the help.pictures coming soon.new front tire,rotors,pads go on as soon as delivery truck brings them.rebuilt front master cylinder today.also waiting for the paint to cure a little bit to put the decals on.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Keep us updated jamese & don't forget we love pictures... 8)
ICOA # 656

jamese

pictures have been posted

Post by jamese »

well it has been a few days of riding with no new surprises or something falling off so i decided to post some pics.nothing special but thought you might like to see it.thanks for the help.

jamese
ps they are over at the 'photos' board

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Great pics jamese, I like the color coordinated top box. Thanks for sharing.... 8)
ICOA # 656

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

top case

Post by cbx6ss »

tell us more about that "swaaeet" top case!!
/r
Brad

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

I see someone else prefers the look of red sidecovers as opposed to flat black - You have excellent taste, Jamese :D

Nice looking ride!

Don

jamese

Re: top case

Post by jamese »

cbx6ss wrote:tell us more about that "swaaeet" top case!!
/r
Brad
i posted some pics on the photo board of what was on the bike when i got it and some of the changes i made to the luggage rack.it was all trial and error and i am happy with the results.the chrome cost was 400 dollars alone but very nice .powder coating would work to cut costs because it is very hidden with the hard case on the bike.i plan to repaint the rest of the bike soon and will redo the side covers and hard case again but will not try for the original candy glory red with the color rite red paint as i was not totally pleased with the results for the money.i think i have located a closer match in a base coat clear coat than what my painter got with a tri-coat.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Thanks for the additional pics jamese, nice work.... 8)
ICOA # 656

silversurfer1050
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by silversurfer1050 »

Very cool luggage rack.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2692
A woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot.

(Gina Lollobrigida)

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I like the trunk also, too bad it doesn't come in white with blue accents.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

jamese

this bike

Post by jamese »

silversurfer1050 wrote:Very cool luggage rack.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2692
this bike came from your neck of the woods,generally speaking.southern wisconsin.my parents owned it since 87 and rode frequently in that area until parkinsons started to limit his activities.

thanks for the compliment on the case.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”