New Exhaust

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

I know Mel is having repos done in SS, but Tims and I (www.usedcbxparts.com) are working on having stock pipes made like originals. I will let everyone know when we have the 1st set done. These will be made to sound and look like originals. We are trying to have the double wall done in the tubes as well. The 1st set of 6/6 should be ready in a few weeks as well.

The World Largest supplier of Used CBX Parts in the World. WWW.USEDCBXPARTS.COM

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The place I was talking to, does not make mufflers. I was just thinking about having a header made. But as our parts pros are also going to be involved in having exhausts made, I sort of dropped it. I am not going to compete with the experts.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: New Exhaust

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

EMS wrote:I wonder: I have some connections to a place that does nice stainless steel exhaust work. I could probably persuade them to come up with a 6-1 or 6-2 header. Just the header, not the muffler. The advantage would be everybody could use their own muffler(s) depending on what stage of tuning they run. There are a ton of aftermarket "slip-ons" available that could probably be made to fit.
What is everybody else's opinion?? Is that worth looking into?
This is a great idea. If you do this we could have the Xpress Product team run a test on it and if all works out we run an article.

My personal view is use the stock header angles which I liked better than all the replacement sets. Also who knows, there might just be a few stock mufflers (without the headers) laying about that could be put on your headers.

Missed this post first time around........missing alot these days. Hummmm....where did I park my car this morning!!!! :oops:
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

LamarX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Exhaust options

Post by LamarX »

EMS, that is a great idea that needs to be looked into for the budget riders, that don't have means to spend $800.00 & up for a bad sounding exhaust. I just did that on my 81, I was able to save the headers as the mufflers were roten, I bought a set of mid pipes and mufflers off a 2007 Hayabusa, I cut the mid pipes and grind to fit proper length/ angle and welded them to the CBX headers, now it's a matter of seconds to unbolt the mufflers to replace them with Carbon fiber or what ever. The look is great, I took the left muffler, installed it on the right avoiding the writing engraved. The sound is close to OEM, maybe a little deeper at idle. A nice 6 into 2 with factory headers.
The cost to fabricate this was $60.00 a system I bought off Ebay.

I have pics to share if interested.

I think your idea is great and it would be affortable with the option of different mufflers.

Marc

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Marc, if you're using Busa cans, I thought I'd let you know what I did to a set on my Busa. I drilled five 1/2" holes in the front baffle plate (long drill bit) and nine 1/2" holes in the rear baffle after taking off the beauty cover, grinding off the three tac welds on the screws. I left the cover off and after masking the cans, painted the ends with 1,500 degree paint and reinstalled just the chrome screws. Actually looks pretty good and sounds great! Nice deep growl but not at all too loud. Maybe it would sound similar on a CBX? BTW, I've seen a stock set of Busa cans polished to an almost chrome finish.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”