6-2 Marving or Mac?

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

6-2 Marving or Mac?

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

If you want a decent new 6-2 system on a rider, stock looking & performing bike, is it worth the extra bucks for a Marving system over a Mac system? I've never seen a Marving system in person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... enameZWDVW

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The Marving pipes certainly look closer to stock than the Mac set-up. They are also close to double the price.
I had a set of Mac pipes years ago. A couple good things were the cost, center stand retention and no re-jetting required. Not so good was the sound[loud is ok, the tone was not], the header collection area is low and i did not like the look of the cheap muffler end caps.

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

About 18 months ago I did some research into the Marving system. I was able to contact the North American distributor who is in Canada and I contacted some people who had the system installed. I came to the conclusion that I would buy these over any other available system. At that time I could get them for $800 CDN shipped.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

Will
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Don't Mac

Post by Will »

I had a set of Macs years ago. I bought them to run so I wasn't beating the crap out of the stock set.

They were cheap. They looked cheap. They sounded cheap.

Where I live, riding in the rain is not always an option. If you want to get home, you ride in the rain. I think it two years before those Macs starting rusting. Not light, polish it off surface rust, this was peel the chrome off when you wash it rust.
Will

Resident curmudgeon.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have heard bad thing about the MACs. Believe it or not, I run MACs on two of my Harleys :shock: :shock: and like them a lot :roll: They sound great, especially on the wife's Sportster and the customer service they showed when I had a problem with the set on my Springer was outstanding. :!:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I think the Marving exhaust is quite a good system for the price. There was quite a discussion a while ago about them (maybe on the 'other' board) and the consensus was that if they ever were available here in the US, that would be the way to go - if you want a stock-looking system. And as has been said - there is NO comparison to the MACs.

Dave

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

daves79x wrote:if they ever were available here in the US, that would be the way to go - if you want a stock-looking system. And as has been said - there is NO comparison to the MACs.

Dave

They are available in the USA. The guy I talked to here in Canada will ship to the US. Ricardo enquired about them. Wonder if he got a set.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

The Marving exhaust system IS available in the US, but not from the Canadian distributor, SI-CO. I bought mine from him, and he went out of business at the end of August of this year. (2007)

That is my CBX in the first post to this thread. I may have the only Marving system in the US. Marving exhaust systems are now available from the guy who placed that ebay ad. He is in Atlanta, Georgia. He used my picture for his ebay ad.

Since the dollar has dropped so much in value, compared to other currencies, Marving systems are quite a bit more expensive than when I bought mine, but then, other imported systems will suffer the same problem.

SCH

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Spencer:
So the big question is: How do you like the Marving exhaust? A lot of us would really like to know from someone that has one. Thanks

Dave

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I like it a lot. I would pay a lot for a genuine original system, but there are not many left, and I can't afford them. To me, this system is close to the looks of a stock system, and it sounds similar. I like quiet. I had a set of Pipemasters, but I sold them after about 200 miles. I loved the look, but they were too loud for me. The Marving mufflers are a little shorter than stock, but still look similar. the pipes are single walled, but isn't everything? I'm sure they will rust like everything else, but no evidence of it yet. I coated the header pipes with Kreem Blue, and so far, they show little or no discoloration. For mounting them on my '79, there is an issue with the placement of the side and center stand stops. I explained that a while back, either here or CBXworld. I overcame it, and offered to supply my "fix" to anyone who wanted it. No takers yet, but maybe if someone else gets a set for a '79 or '80, I can help. I don't think it is an issue for the later models. At about half the price of the Pipemasters, I think they are a good deal.

So, I would say I am happy. Your mileage may vary. If there are any more specific questions, I will be happy to try to answer, or send pictures of anything you want.

SCH

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Great info Spencer, Thanks...... :thumupp:
ICOA # 656

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Here's some pictures I had on file showing a side by side comparison of Marvings with stockers and then mounted on an 81.

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Great input guys...... :cheers:
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I like the headers. The end of the mufflers, I don't. Still, overall it seems like a great exhaust and a real good alternative to an unobtainable stocke unit.

Mopar_Tony_SF1
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Mopar_Tony_SF1 »

EMS wrote:I like the headers. The end of the mufflers, I don't.
Agreed on the end of the muffler - aluminum pop rivets don't belong on exhaust systems in this price range

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”