DG six to one power loss

quincydubois
New Member & Happy To Be Here

DG six to one power loss

Post by quincydubois »

Hey, you DG six to one experts! Just put some on my '79 and I have a significant amount of power loss with 'flat' spots throughout the RPM range. In fact, at 4000-4500 RPM it won't pull in 5th and acts like it is gas starved. I did not think jet/carb changes were necessary with these pipes. Not so?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

quincydubois, Any other mods like separate filter pods ?? I'm no expert on DG but a few guys are here & will soon contribute....
ICOA # 656

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I have a set on my '80.
The bike has no jetting changes and the airbox remains intact. It pulls cleanly in all rev ranges with no flat spots. When i first installed the pipe i also dropped in a new and misted K&N air filter in the stock airbox. That simple mod produced a mid range flat spot. Kept the pipe and went back to the stock filter and all was well.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Like posted in the other thread: The 6-1 has a reputation of being the worst exhaust for the CBX as far as performance is concerned. The only people who argue with that are those who sell it.

quincydubois

mods and DG exhaust ...

Post by quincydubois »

alimey4u2
Nope, no mods, box stock except the new DG exhaust ...

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Re: mods and DG exhaust ...

Post by alimey4u2 »

quincydubois wrote:alimey4u2
Nope, no mods, box stock except the new DG exhaust ...
Hmmmmm........I too have found the CBX engine to be sensitive to exhaust changes, especially if the carbs are on the lean side....
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think it is funny how stating the facts is sometimes being perceived as unconstructive criticism or being cynical. Just because one has made an emotional decision or followed somebody's ill advice and does not want to admit it. The spaghetti header of the 6-1 may look good, but it is a design based on cosmetics and the single muffler is an economic way to provide a replacement exhaust for an expensive stock part. If nothing else on the engine is being changed, including carb jetting, air intake and ignition and valve timing (cams) the best exhausts for a stock CBX for seat-of-the-pants feel (which can actually be confirmed by torque numbers on a dyno chart) are: 1. Prolink exhaust, 2. 1980 (-469-) exhaust, and 3. 79 (-422-) exhaust. In that order. Everything aftermarket is worse and on the bottom of these is the 6-1. :roll: The flat spot in the mid-range is typical for a horsepower exhaust that may show some gains at 9,500 rpm.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

so the D & G just might be a good horsepower making pipe at or above 9500 rpm? Good, what can I use for a rev limiter, the sound of breaking rods? :D
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

quincydubois

More DG

Post by quincydubois »

Right you are, oh Posting God, and I will therefore take off the DG six to one (as it runs my six so poorly), put on a second set of six to one (different make, supposedly for race and WAY too loud, but what the hell I wanna just hear it) and will not report the results cause I know not the brand. And then back to the aftermarket and ugly six to two exhaust that runs my six banger soooo well. Anyway those guys at DG (in MY opinion) are full of sh*t about their product. Just my opinion. Thanks for your post and the info!

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

I have a set of DG headers but use a Kerker can on it. The sound is great but the look isn't, so much. IMO the X looks better with twin pipes. It feels just a little flat in the mid range rowing thru the gears but otherwise I felt no real power loss. The Kerker comes with 3 sizes of end baffles and I'm not sure which one I have.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Kerker is the manufacturer of the Supertrapp. Both the Kerker 6-1 and the DG 6-1 use the same header which is made by one of the two. Don't remember who.

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

now to throw gas on the fire :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: , i have an 81 and an 82, on the 82 i used to have a dg 6 in 1 . I sometimes let people ride my 82 and of course when you ride with someone you just gotta race him :lol: . anyway with the dg my 82 would beat my stock 81 buy about 5 bike lengths, I put stock exhausts on the 82 (thanks george) when riding with the same buddy now the bikes are about dead even go figure
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Maybe it's the weight difference :P :P :wink:

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: mine or the bike's :lol: :lol: :lol: i did eat a lot of cheeseburgers in key west
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

dan1995 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: mine or the bike's :lol: :lol: :lol: i did eat a lot of cheeseburgers in key west
8) 8) The bike's , of course, Dan! :lol: :lol: Now, I thought when on/in Key West, one would indulge in seafood. Or are you Floridians such dedicated followers of Jimmy Buffet that "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" is the must-have there :shock: :?:

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”