DG six to one power loss

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

There are many mitigating factors to get a pipe. Light weight, ground clearance, more power, more noise, you crashed your bike ruined the pipe and aftermarket is cheaper, looks, and the quality of the noise are a few that I can think of. I have and have had bikes that are faster (some a lot faster) then the CBX. I'm at the point now where I consider two things when looking for a pipe:

1. Looks-I believe the best looking pipe for a CBX is a 6 into 6. The bike needs wire wheels and the pipes need to be black. After that is the 6 into 2 pipes on my wire wheeled bike. The left pipes cross over and there's 2 mufflers on the right side. Staggered. I got the pipes used and one of the baffles were missing. The cans are the same dia as the Mac pipe so I got Mac baffles. Work great.

2. Sound-The D&G 6 into 1 has a sound that makes people look to see what's coming. Even with a fairly quite baffle. I like the sound more then any other pipe I've heard except for one. The pipe on my wire wheeled bike. I lucked out with that pipe.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

as for collector theory goes, if the pipes going to the collector are unequal length because of space limitations, the shorter pipe can stick into the collector further then the others to make up the difference if there's room. I've always wanted to cut open a stock pipe to see if that's the case with the CBX.
YOU'RE THE ONE

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

cbxtacy wrote:as for collector theory goes, if the pipes going to the collector are unequal length because of space limitations, the shorter pipe can stick into the collector further then the others to make up the difference if there's room. I've always wanted to cut open a stock pipe to see if that's the case with the CBX.
I think a true collector would prefer the stock pipes, just because of the value.. :wink: :shock: :shock:

...the header pipes in the CBX are ending at different pipes in the collector for exactly the reason you are stating, George, take my word for it. No need to cut one apart.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

My understanding about the unequal length exhaust parts (which by the way can make no difference on an engine as mildly tuned at the CBX anyway) is that they enhance the appearance. Someone once also supposed that the unequal lengths match the unequal lengths of the intake system, but again, that is reading into the engine much more ability than it has. The short of the reason is, without at least 50 degrees valve overlap, you can do whatever you want to the exhaust and the engine will neither know or care. :)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I was of the opinion that the unequal length of the intake (manifolds between carbs and inlet valve) was supposed to be compensated for in the airbox :oops: Reason for staying away from pods. :? :?
The fact that the No 2 and No 5 header are visibly a little longer seems to me a space requirement to provide clearance when leaning over. If they would have squeezed all 3 headers per side plain next to each other, you would probably scrape the outside ones in extreme turns.

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I've heard that the insides of the stock airbox was designed by Salvadore Dali during his surrealism period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dali ... nthony.jpg
Does 'surrealism have one or two l's (surreallism)?
YOU'RE THE ONE

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

cbxtacy wrote:I've heard that the insides of the stock airbox was designed by Salvadore Dali during his surrealism period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dali ... nthony.jpg
Does 'surrealism have one or two l's (surreallism)?
Dammit George, & I thought we were going into the complexities of resonant lengths, compounded by moving & rapidly stopping ( reflected nodes & antinodes off closed valve faces ) variable density air masses etc.etc.etc..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by alimey4u2 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICOA # 656

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

One, I think: sur-real-ism.... :|

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

So.... what is a good price for a new DG 6>1 exhaust these days? :?: I have an e-mail from a recent e-bay seller that says he can do $550 delivered. TIA
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

That's in the ball park. I have seen them offered for $499.- plus shipping.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”