Original Exhaust

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Original Exhaust

Post by EMS »

Holy Moses :shock: :shock: I just checked the original 79 exhaust on ebay and bidding is at $2,025 :?: :?: This is as much as I paid for my whole bike in 1993. :? Back then, the exhaust was still available from Honda for $650 complete. What kind of bike is this thing going on? will it ever been ridden? Consider, that as soon as the pipes go on the bike and you go 5 miles, their value has dropped to $1,000 :roll:
No wonder, that CBXes are being parted out. With prices like this, I must have $20,000 worth of CBX parts at home (including the 2 bikes) :D :D
I feel tempted to sell it all and buy seven great condition Kawasaki triples for the money :!: Hey Ric! How about this :?:
JUST KIDDING :lol:

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Some CBX parts fetch a bundle ....

Post by John S. (5594) »

Having watched complete bikes and CBX parts sell on eBay over the last half year - I too am amazed at the price some of the items fetch.

Recently a NOS black '80 tank went for ~$1400 - same for a Sports Kit about six months back. Lightly used OEM 422 exhaust systems are selling for ~$1300 - and the list goes on.

I routinely see parts sell on eBay that are still available NOS from Honda at prices well over MSRP - go figure.

Looking at the bid history is always interesting. Many of the expensive and hard to find items are being snapped-up by the same buyers - most of whom use a sniping program to win the auction in the last few seconds. Though I haven't seen these buyers "flip" recent high-end purchases - I imagine that's their plan.

Someone told me that vintage motorcycle parts start getting expensive at an age of 25 years. Though too simple an explanation - it appears to hold true here.

I think that NOS 422 exhaust system currently on eBay will top-out under $2500 - and in a way I certainly hope so - the day may come when I'll need another. In this case - my guess would be that a well-heeled CBX owner wants to restore his/her keeper.

But there are some deals on eBay - early this month I missed a "buy-it-now" listing by an hour for a nearly new and complete late model CBX clutch - probably a school bike part. It went for $125 - less than I would pay for the outer basket alone. Can't win them all for sure.

When I look at my "new" A Model and the parts prices on eBay - I am amused that the bike is worth nearly the same as a new Ducati - well - close maybe :) But that's sold in pieces - something that will never happen to my bikes - too nice to butcher for any price.

Cheers,

John
San Jose, California

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”