6:1 Kerker or DG

Ed

6:1 Kerker or DG

Post by Ed »

I'm looking for Chrome 6:1 Kerker
Don't know about DG 6:1 i.e. performance and sound.
May regret it but the louder the better!
Anyone out there your comment/help appreciated.
Thanks,
Later,
Ed Lee#5428

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Exhaust

Post by EMS »

Ed : Would you consider a stainless steel Supertrapp in excellent condition? Run for about 2000 miles. $650 incl. shipping in the lower 48. Really loud! Extra tuning discs.

Ed

Super Trap

Post by Ed »

I have a super trap 6:2 stainless. The header pipes were so scratched I could not polish them out. I don't know if I could keep the stainless polished i.e. from the tarnish created by exhaust heat. The ones I have don't seem to stay high luster very long. I know Chrome will blue but thinking will be easier to bring back to shine either mechanical or chemical. I'm talking to local chrome shop now about chrome on stainless; gut feeling this does not work.
How does it fit up with an "81"?
Yes, interested --- Loud Huh!
Let's see.
Thanks,
Later,
Ed #5428

Ed

Super Trap

Post by Ed »

I have a super trap 6:2 stainless. The header pipes were so scratched I could not polish them out. I don't know if I could keep the stainless polished i.e. from the tarnish created by exhaust heat. The ones I have don't seem to stay high luster very long. I know Chrome will blue but thinking will be easier to bring back to shine either mechanical or chemical. I'm talking to local chrome shop now about chrome on stainless; gut feeling this does not work.
How does it fit up with an "81"?
Yes, interested --- Loud Huh!
Let's see.
Thanks,
Later,
Ed #5428

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Supertrapp

Post by EMS »

Ed: If you are looking for a mirror shine, the Supertrapps are not the right ones. Sure, you can polish stainless steel, but on an exhaust, it always discolors pretty quick. Mine has a satin shine to it and turned a little golden at the headers. I kept it clean with fine steel wool as originally supplied with the exhaust by Kerker.
Sure, the Trapps work on the 81/82s but as with all exhausts, you have to play with the jetting.
Although a lot of people consider them interchangeable, even the 79 and 80 exhausts were different, with the 469- part being less restrictive than the original 422. And as the carbs and the cams were also different on the 80, this model had a lower max horsepower output than the original 79. However, it provided a more powerful feel subjectively, as the tuning was such that perfomance was available in a different range.

Ed

Stainless

Post by Ed »

Let me check around a bit and see what's out there. Your stainless and mine do the same thing. I'm wanting a shine look with the noise.
Yes, know about the jetting, have a stage three in now.
Lets see what the chrome shop says and what the charge is if can be done over stainless. Seems a waste but...
Thanks,
Later,
Ed

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Super Trapp

Post by Dave Ditner »

I'll take that set of Supertrapps for $650 if you're interested.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Supertrapp

Post by EMS »

Dave:

I sent you an e-mail :!:

Dave Hansen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Dave Hansen »

I just bought and installed a DG 6:1( Motorcycle accessory warhouse- $405 w/S+H) I had quite a time getting it to fit. The hole in the hanger needed to be enlarged just to get a bolt in it and to clear the brake pedal. It still hits when the pedal is depressed. Anybody else have the same difficulty making theirs fit? What did you do for it? BTW, I went from 6:2 kerker to the DG and I like the sound way more :P

E Lee

DG 6-1

Post by E Lee »

My DG 6:1 fit up real nice. I coated the New pipes with Kreem and no blueing after 3,000 and I'm running right at perfect AF by Dyno run. I removed the baffle tossed the packing and drilled 4, 1/4 holes in the inner flange. It's loud but............ 8)

When I was installing pipes to collector I put some anti sieze on the pipe. They slid right in, better yet slide right out!

Later,

Ed

E Lee

DG 6-1

Post by E Lee »

My DG 6:1 fit up real nice. I coated the New pipes with Kreem and no blueing after 3,000 and I'm running right at perfect AF by Dyno run. I removed the baffle tossed the packing and drilled 4, 1/4 holes in the inner flange. It's loud but............ 8)

When I was installing pipes to collector I put some anti sieze on the pipe. They slid right in, better yet slide right out!

Later,

Ed

Doug B

kerker 6 to 1

Post by Doug B »

I have had a kerker 6 to 1 chrome stage 3 and the largest baffle avail.

on my 79 for 4years now, works great no problems, and no blueing

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

FYI, Kerker only made a 6-2, the 6-1 Kerker is actually a DG 6-1 w/ a Kerker muffler.
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

KEYSMAN
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Kerker or DG

Post by KEYSMAN »

I have a question also. I have an '81 that I bought with a Stage 3 kit but it has stock exhaust and is running real rich. What is the best pipe to run and be able to leave the bags on? And, does anyone have a decent used one I could entertain purchasing?

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Leave the stock pipes and run K&N individual air cleaners, they will let more air in and lean it out a bit. Bonus is the great intake honk!
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”