Supertrapp endcap/discs

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Supertrapp endcap/discs

Post by oroepke »

Howdy folks? Got my CBX yesterday and one thing I already know is that the Supertrapp exhaust is way too loud for me. I have the open end cap on there and 2 discs.
I am wondering, can I add discs and switch to a closed end cap? If so, how many discs would I need to keep the flow approximately the same?
Here is a pic. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
New 1980 CBX owner as of January 2023!
Other bikes: BMW R1200GS, BMW R80 G/S, BMW R75/5
Previous bikes: Several SOHC Hondas and KZ's, a few BMWs, Honda CT, HD Fatboy, XL 500, DR 750, RD 350, CB250....

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Supertrapp endcap/discs

Post by 512tr »

You can, but how many discs to compensate for a closed cap is near impossible to say, you have to experiment and find out what works best.

You can also try a adjustable end cap, have it on my Harley, but HD and CBX is 2 totally different worlds :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Interesting! That's a good idea. I might try that.
I just read somewhere that about 6-8 disks make up for the difference between an open and a closed end cap. I might just buy some disks and this adjustable cap and then play around with it. Thanks!
Previous bikes: Several SOHC Hondas and KZ's, a few BMWs, Honda CT, HD Fatboy, XL 500, DR 750, RD 350, CB250....

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

With a closed end cap, 6 discs are a good number for an otherwise stock CBX and may not need any fiddling with the carbs.

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Great, thanks, pretty much what I heard. The bike has been jetted (I was told) for the pods that are currently on the bike and the Supertrapp with the open end cap and 2 discs. If 6 discs and a closed cap is equivalent to stock, it may be more restrictive than what I have now, but I can always add more discs. Just need to quiet this beast down a bit!

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”