Six into Six Exhaust Any Suggestions

Cool Blue North
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Six into Six Exhaust Any Suggestions

Post by Cool Blue North »

As original exhaust systems are stupid money I'm considering a 6 to 6 system as they look just so damn cool. I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences anyone's had with any particular brands. The 2 main ones seem to be Rivco or Pipemasters out of Australia. Are these compatible with the centerstand? My bike has the European Sportkit. Any problem with that? I currently am running the Kerker 6 into 2 system. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cool Blue North

76 Honda 750K6

79 CBX Glory Red

80 CT70

01 XR650R

01 Triumph Tiger 955i

02 Kawasaki W650

03 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Last edited by Cool Blue North on Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike pavlick

pipemasters 6 into 6

Post by mike pavlick »

I have recently put a set on my 79.

They look and sound very cool indeed, mellow. The Flowmasters I heard at the CBX meeting were rough, kind of barked at you and don't look as cool (my opinion).

No interference with the center stand. But the sidestand spring will rub on the mufflers and there is no resting place for the stand. You need to jury rig a piece of rubber onto the stand, a piece of an old tire will do. Fool with the position of the lower right muffler by loosening the allen screws which hold the mufflers together for the best fit.

There are no directions for assembly, however the headers are marked and the rest is easy.

Do not bolt anything down tight until all components are in place!!!!

I ended up removing 1/4 inch from the end of the number four header to get a good fit without bending or stressing anything.

The fit between collectors and headers and mufflers is only a slide in and you can expect some leakage when accelerating hard; don't know of any fix yet.

Use new header/engine washers and torque everything properly (90 inch pounds).

Warning: there is no heat shield on the left side pipes at the collector and it is convienent to brush one's leg against them getting a blistering burn with the slightest touch (Took me four before I learned).

If I might be of some help please call.

Mike Pavlick 606-758-9320

mike pavlick

six into six, more dope

Post by mike pavlick »

The sports kit doesn't matter.

I also installed a Dynojet lll kit and individual K&N filters.

Mike Pavlick

Cool Blue North

Six into Six

Great help, thanks a bunch. May be in touch.

CBN

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

hi cool blue

i have seen and heard both of these systems at rallies and the pipemasters from austrailia would be my pick

the have a more mellow sound plus from back the mufflers have a tapered stacking like the honda 250 6 gp bike as where the units from south america have a more vertical stacking

jan ringnalda (mrcbx@att.net) imported the pipemasters for us all over the years and might be able to help you in this decision

jeff bennetts can help you with dyno info of the various systems cbxsix@yahoo.com

best

mike

Mike Pavlick

6 into 6

Post by Mike Pavlick »

I have photos of the best looking 79 in the country (mine of course) available if you might be interested. Would give you something to reach for!

Yours modestly,

Mike Pavlick

Cool Blue North

6 into 6

Thanks to all, Pipemasters sounds like the ones. Yes, Mike, please send pics, I'll send some back:

lesfinnigan@shaw.ca

CBN

Cool Blue North

Pipemasters 6 into 6 Exhaust

Unbelievably I was able to find a good used set of these pipes in good shape right here in the Cool Blue North! These pipes did have some discoloration and the header pipes were quite blue from the previous owners bike obviously running a little hot. I took the pipes to a Metal Refinishing shop who was able to polish them up absolutely perfect, no sign of heat discoloration.

There is a God!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Post a picture of them on your bike after your finished installing them.

jb

Cool Blue North

Here's the epilogue to my 6-6 Pipemasters experience. I've had them on for about a month and have driven the bike extensively in city traffic. The pipes look and sound great but they are LOUD! If I start the bike beside my wife's mini-van it sets the alarm off! When I installed the pipes I emptied 2 cans of Krylon heat paint in to the header pipes. I'm happy to report that there is zero discoloration. The center stand doesn't come up to it's fully raised position but it has not been an issue. The side stand is fine. If the bike was my daily rider the noise would be an issue. However, I only ride it for cruising to club events, show and shines, etc... and it's fine, just short shift when the police are close. All in all, I'm very happy.

Robert Hill

Post by Robert Hill »

In 1992, I bought a set of Pipemasters for my 81 from Clint Hooper, the old director from Texas. At the time, a set of quiet baffles was offered as an option. I took advantage of this option!! The original baffles are definitely LOUD!! Funny thing is, I talked to the people down there in Australia, and they told me these meet Australias noise requirements. Must be rather loose down there, NO??

See if the quiet baffles are still available. They are MUCH quieter, I do not need to wear ear plugs with these installed

Robert Hill

Oklahoma City

cbx6ss
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cbx6ss »

Hey Robert,

Can you run with your luggage with your pipes?

Thank you.

/r

Brad

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote="Robert Hill"]In 1992, I bought a set of Pipemasters for my 81 from Clint Hooper, the old director from Texas. At the time, a set of quiet baffles was offered as an option. I took advantage of this option!! The original baffles are definitely LOUD!! Funny thing is, I talked to the people down there in Australia, and they told me these meet Australias noise requirements. Must be rather loose down there, NO??

See if the quiet baffles are still available. They are MUCH quieter, I do not need to wear ear plugs with these installed

Robert Hill

Oklahoma City[/quote]

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I have been interested to hear what other people are saying about Pipemasters.

I have a new set of Pipemasters. In my opinion, they are too loud, but then, almost silent would be my preference. They do have a nice sound, just too loud for me. I really like the looks. No one will mistake me for a 750, as has happened with the stock pipes. Six pipes and mufflers tell everyone this is a six. When I read, above, about quieter baffles, I wrote to Jan to ask if they were still available. He told me I already have the quiet baffles. Evidently, they no longer sell the louder ones. I would really like them if they were a little quieter. I made a rubber bumper which bolts on and prevents the side stand from hitting the muffler. I don't understand why they did not provide one with the pipes. Such a minor detail, but annoying by its absence.

I have less than 100 miles on them. I am thinking about trying to sell them, to be replaced by something less sexy, but quieter.

SCH

Robert Hill

Post by Robert Hill »

You can quiet them considerably by removing the baffles and wrapping them with baffle fiberglass. I did this when I initially had the loud baffles on my bike. After installing the quiet baffles, I found I did not need this option.

No, you cannot retain the saddlebags with the Pipemasters pipes. The upper pipe is way up there.

Robert Hill

Oklahoma City

Land_Shark
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Land_Shark »

Just out of curiosity, are there any jetting/airflow issues with putting a 6-6 pipemaster on a stock '80?

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”