Anything known on the jet fighter exhaust system?

3MIX
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Anything known on the jet fighter exhaust system?

Post by 3MIX »

I suppose most CBX owners have read about the exhaust system which made the CBX sound like the F-4 Phantom jet fighter. It has been mentioned in books, magazines and articles, also on the CBX club site: http://www.cbxclub.com/davespage/cbx-5.html. However I have never read anything about the design of this exhaust system except that it is suppused to be a six-into-two system.

Is there anything known about this system?

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Anything known on the jet fighter exhaust system?

Post by EMS »

It was a prototype system and not only just one. The development team played with a couple of different exhausts to find the right sound. The best compromise between performance and legal requirements. Anything was probably fairly crude and handmade and was scrapped after not being selected. I would assume that any exhaust considered was a 6-2 for design reasons. Personally, I believe a lot of stories about the development of the CBX are "lore" and made up by people who want to
tell a story. The "jet-fighter" exhaust note is one of them. If you look at the facts of what Honda and their competition developed and introduced at that time and consider that the development time of the CBX supposedly was extremely short you have to question a lot of the things that are being told.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”