Alternator output correction

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Alternator output correction

Post by Little mate »

I could put my 81 alternator on it and try that. Or replace the rectifier do you know a good source for a rectifier.cbx performance has them for $79 I think . But have never dealt with them before.ive never seen voltage climb like that before .

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Bob at CBX Performance is great to deal with.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I will second that about bob at Cbx performance. Great to deal with and fast to ship.
Terry

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Tonight I had some free time. As I stood in the garage pondering on doing a full altenator diagnosis, I decided to check the spark again for the umpteenth time and we now have a good blue spark. So looks like ignition is now good. Although 2 and 5 are rather cold. So with multiple problems it looks like I will be back in the carbs again. I will also flush the tank again just I case. Not the first time as I flushed it back in May. And sealed it and I do have a inline filter on it .and I still have to check the alternator.i downloaded a check list for the alternator / regulator. I just need to get it running good enough to do the tests . Any thoughts on this .looks like a step in the right direction.is it pure coincidence that it's still 2 and 5 or could be spark breaking down under load.
Last edited by Little mate on Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I would switch plug wires around and see if it follows..... :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Yep thought about that. Plugs, caps and wires are all new back in May . That could be part of the problem.ever had n g k plugs give anybody any problems. So the plugs and wires+ caps have about 400 miles on them .

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Little mate wrote:Yep thought about that. Plugs, caps and wires are all new back in May . That could be part of the problem.ever had n g k plugs give anybody any problems. So the plugs and wires+ caps have about 400 miles on them .
I was meaning move plug wires to different coil and see if the same plugs lose spark or does the problem change to the others cylinders. If it follows the other cylinder then it is coil or igniters. If it doesn't change then it is the carbs. My bet is it will change and your igniter or coil issue.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Yes I agree I have already swapped coil and igniters the only thing that has not been swapped is the plugs ,wires and caps .

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Thanks Tevan for your input I appreciate the help.i will give it a try . Other than that I may try cleaning the carb vents as I just noticed a lack o flow thru my filter and it's free flow out of tank.if clogged could this restrict fuel delivery.
Last edited by Little mate on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

May have to move to a new thread as may be getting into carbs keep you guys posted this is getting out of control.and I still have to test altenator thanks for all your help.getting closer to solving this nightmare.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Well today I swapped the plug wires just for the heck of it no luck , so I pulled 5 plug and replaced it with a old plug and bingo fire on #5 I could not believe it, these plugs were replaced less than 400 miles ago haven't pulled #2yet at least I got it fired up and #5 pipe was just as hot as 1 3 4 and 6 . I checked the voltage and got 15 v at the battery at 3000rpm so checked connectors and the six pin from altenator to rectifier was hot to hot looks like rectifier is fried .15v isn't that a bit high.any input much appreciated.any body had issues with n g k plugs I would never have guessed as I had a nice blue spark when I checked ,after I had cleaned all the connectors in the ignition system.
Last edited by Little mate on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I should have changed the plugs at the start as I had a problem with new plugs many years ago and took three nights to figure it out ,I had just. Installed new plugs just a few days before. The car died and wife said check the plugs she was right the electrode had fell out of the middle of the plug and was sitting on top of the piston , bubble gum and a pencil took care of it.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Stick with NGK plugs. 15V is a bit high - I'd seriously look into replacement of reg/rec.

Dave

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Has anyone heard of an electrode falling out of a sparkplug????

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

Yes Dave I will get new n g k plugs today and will be ordering a new rectifier. I also will take another close look at that altenator that voltage bouncing around got me worried.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”