alternator brush base

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

alternator brush base

Post by mhutton »

Hi I'm gathering the parts to overhaul my alternator ref my recent charging problems.
Are the brush bases different for the 2 alternators? I bought one for the US type but have the Euro. The new one looks similar but I don't have the original to hand to compare.

I am struggling to find the paper gasket in the UK. Ii seemed there was some pressure on the bearings when I held the cases together without the gasket. In fact they didn't want to go together properly. Seems to need the spacing the gasket would provide. Is it needed to provide some spacing?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: alternator brush base

Post by daves79x »

You might try David Silver, but I doubt it. TIMS here in the US carries them if you could wait a bit for it. That's the only source I can find.

Dave

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

thanks Dave,
I tried all the usual suspects & ended up with a U.S. one by mistake (like the brush mounting block :oops: )

So does anyone know is the gasket needed to space the bearings? The cases dont quite come together on mine suggesting the need for the additional packing.

thanks,
Martin.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Martin,

The brush base plates are different (well they have different part numbers anyway), you may be able to adapt them?

If I remember correctly, yes there is a small gap without the gasket - I assume so the stator is gripped correctly when everything is done up with the gasket.

I haven't managed to find a source for the euro gaskets either - I took a (full size) scan of the last one I used so that if I had to I could make one from gasket material. I can send you that if it helps.
Scan of Alternator Gasket.jpg
I stumbled on this a while ago:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Top-End-Head- ... 4d320dfcfd

It's a full gasket set, but the alternator gasket is the euro one - gaskets sets normally include the US one! As always - it's in the US, so you have the problem of postage / import duty... May be worth contacting the supplier to see if you can just get the alternator gasket'?

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sorry, assumed the gaskets were the same. Still can't see why they're not and the alternators are the same diameter (or maybe they're not?).

Dave

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

daves79x wrote:Sorry, assumed the gaskets were the same. Still can't see why they're not and the alternators are the same diameter (or maybe they're not?).

Dave
Dave - I am pretty sure the US alternator has a slightly wider diameter. So housing, gaskets etc all different.

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

thanks guys,

I guess the castings differ at this joint. It seems the gasket is more important as a packer than for any sealing effect. After all, it is really only going to keep stuff out rather than in! Seems a bit hit & miss though to rely on it to determine end float.
I know the brush mounting blocks have different numbers but wondered if anyone would know if they are in fact the same. It wouldn't be the first time... :?

Joner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Joner »

Yes the Euro alternator is a smaller diameter than the US one.

Cheers
Chris J.
Grey-haired bikers don't get that way from pure luck.

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

OK. I have compared the brush bases & they are similar but not identical. The square holes for the brushes are in slightly different positions on the radius so they are not interchangeable.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If memory serves me well, the gasket is not just paper but a composite paper/rubber. I may have some Euro gaskets. Will check and let you know.

mhutton
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by mhutton »

EMS wrote:If memory serves me well, the gasket is not just paper but a composite paper/rubber. I may have some Euro gaskets. Will check and let you know.
you are a gentleman sir! Don't suppose you might have a euro brush base too? :whistle:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Sorry, I only have the large alternator gaskets. I got them from Germany at one time and I assumed wrongly they were for the small unit. But this was only a 1979 CBX-Z part. All other models had the large, like the U.S., alternator.
I do have a brush base, but......it is part of the Euro alternator I took off of my 79 when I converted it to a Kawasaki alternator.
I really don't want to take it apart, but I can sell you the whole alternator for $80.-
Shipping to the U.K. will make the whole thing prohibitive, because it will cost another $65.-

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Martin,

Looks like the French can help you out!

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/honda-cbx-1000-j ... 35d39b97e3

Re-Manufactured / reproduction. 25 euros + shipping, so not cheap!

Paul.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Martin,

...and the Germans will sell you a brush base:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Honda-CBX-1000-C ... 0963246350

Paul.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

EMS wrote:Sorry, I only have the large alternator gaskets. I got them from Germany at one time and I assumed wrongly they were for the small unit. But this was only a 1979 CBX-Z part. All other models had the large, like the U.S., alternator.
I do have a brush base, but......it is part of the Euro alternator I took off of my 79 when I converted it to a Kawasaki alternator.
I really don't want to take it apart, but I can sell you the whole alternator for $80.-
Shipping to the U.K. will make the whole thing prohibitive, because it will cost another $65.-
EMS (Mike),

Was the alternator working OK when you took it off the bike? If Martin doesn't want it, and you are happy to sell it, then I'd be interested in it.

Paul.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”