Engine shotoff when the engine is to hot

2Honda6
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Engine shotoff when the engine is to hot

Post by 2Honda6 »

Hello ! My 81 CBX are rebuild after 28 years in storage. My problem are when I get jam in trafic and the engine get very hot, after 15 min. around, the bike shout off and the starter don't work, the battery is dead. After 1 hour, the starter really slowly and if I wait 2 hrs then the bike start just like normal. It's look like some ??? part get bigger when the engine get hot and make short on the electrical system ??? and when it's cool down, it's get normal. Thank You to help me !

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Engine shotoff when the engine is to hot

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site.
As to the starter not turning when hot i would look at the battery first. Check the connections and the ground wire. It could be the battery itself.
If it tests then it could be the starter motor needing a cleaning/rebuild.
I had coils that would get hot and cut out 2 cylinders. Can't imagine it happening to all 3.
The smart guys will be along.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Do yourself a huge favor and stay out of stop-and-go traffic. Especially with a freshly rebuilt engine. These things don't like it and doing it causes extreme stress on internal components as they get very hot.

As before, likely the starter or battery.

Dave

Little mate
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Little mate »

I had the same thing happen to me with a fresh big bore kit installed had to wait till bike cooled down. All is good now. I put it down to the bike needed to be broke in in a more temp friendly environment. So stay out of heavy traffic for at least 500 to 1000 miles. Take it out and let it stretch it's legs on the open road.as long as it's not running lean.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”