headlight liner scorched

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

headlight liner scorched

Post by Sharpie66 »

The other night while riding my buddy noticed an issue with my headlight...
image.jpg
I removed the projector lens and this is what I found...
image.jpg
It appears that the reflective lining has separated from the glass and was getting scorched by my bulb. Good thing it is fire retardent and didn't catch on fire! I'm fortunate to have a second 1982 CBX and I swapped the headlight yesterday. While doing so, I noticed that there are 2 extra wires in the bucket...
image.jpg
Out of curiosity could someone let me know what these are for?

Thanks,
Patrick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: headlight liner scorched

Post by daves79x »

Not sure what the wires are for just off-hand, but your problem is a too-high wattage bulb. They're nice but that's what happens. Go to the stock bulb and you'll be OK.

Dave

Sharpie66
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: headlight liner scorched

Post by Sharpie66 »

Thanks Dave. I did have a 55/60 watt bulb in there. I believe this happened while in South Dakota. It was so hot there and I run my high beams all the time. Since I do a lot of early morning and late at night riding in the dark I have been strongly considering a higher wattage bulb. My charging system is operating very well here in WNY and I believe it could handle the extra load. However, after having this happen to my lens I won't risk it. I did put Sylvania's brightest bulb in this weekend while switching out lens. An improvement over the basic halogen for sure. A little costly at $25.00 for a bulb that supposedly has a life of only 100 hours.

Patrick
Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”